PDA

View Full Version : Minor Gloat (maybe) and questions

Larry Browning
04-04-2004, 9:53 AM
As you may or may not know, I like to scrounge around for great deals on stuff. There is this store only a couple of blocks from where I work that sells salvage and surplus stuff(it's mostly useless junk). Anything from foo foo stuff to motorcycle parts. You never know what thay are going to have. I was browsing through the tools and H.I. section and was looking thru the paint when I found several gallons of acrylic poly, various kinds and shades of finishing stain along with other misc paint. All paint is marked $3.00 a gallon and quarts are a $1.00. I picked up a gallon of the acrylic poly, 1 gallon of minwax oil semi-gloss poly and a couple quarts of stain. I have never used the acrylic poly before, so I stained a piece of scrap a put a couple of coats on it and I really like the finish. It says it can be sprayed, but shouldn't be thinned. I have a regular old spray gun (non-HVLP). Is there a special nozzle needed for acrylic paints? I would really like to start using spray equipment more, but I have very little knowledge about it, minimal equipment, and next to no experience. Can you suggest a good source for a primer (book) on spraying wood finishes, or even a few well placed tips from the creek would be welcomed.

Jim Becker
04-04-2004, 12:24 PM
Almost all water bourne products are acrylic based and you should be able to spray them with your gun. Try some with your normal projector set and if it sprays fine, no problem. If not, you'll want a slightly larger projector set if the material is thick...especially if the stuff you got is "acrylic latex" rather than some other acrylic product.

Do remember that "age matters" when it comes to finishes...