PDA

View Full Version : Essential Literature

Scotty Stepp
05-05-2008, 11:39 AM
I'm trying to educate myself on general woodworking and would like to know what you consider to be must have reading materials such as books, magazines, etc. Keep in mind that I am a complete beginner to woodworking.

Thanks.

Mike Armstrong
05-05-2008, 11:53 AM
Good finishing will make an o.k. project look fantastic and poor finishing will make great work look crappy.

I'd start with Understanding Wood Finishing by Bob Flexner, my favorite in this area. He covers it all, in a clear, straightforward manner. When you want to expand your library, The Complete Illustrated Guide to Finishing by Jeff Jewitt is also a must have.

Mike

. . . and remember my motto:

Tom Walz
05-05-2008, 12:09 PM
Some clubs have good libraries.

Jerome Hanby
05-05-2008, 12:26 PM
Bill Hylton's Router book (http://www.amazon.com/Woodworking-Router-UpdatedProfessional-Techniques-Woodworker/dp/0762108002/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210004485&sr=8-2)

Kelly Mehler'S Table Saw book (http://www.amazon.com/Table-Saw-Book-Completely-Revised/dp/1561584266/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210004537&sr=1-2)

Mark Duginske's Bandsaw book (http://www.amazon.com/Band-Saw-Handbook-Mark-Duginske/dp/0806963980/ref=pd_bbs_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210004605&sr=1-3)

And if you go through the SHOP (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/amazon.php) link in the bar above(or just click the SHOP link in this post) and buy the books from Amazon then the Creek will make a little money too!

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-05-2008, 1:31 PM
Honestly - - I'd just start messing around and make something you want.

Make a tool box. Make a bench. Make a rack. Just make something.

Jim Broestler
05-05-2008, 1:35 PM
Bill Hylton's Woodworking with the Router; Big Book of Weekend Woodworking Projects by John Nelson (for some really nice, simple projects to get you started); Bill Hylton's Power Tool Joinery; Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Woodworking.

Those are the books I find myself always referring to. The popular Woodworking magazines are always really good, such as Popular Woodworking, Woodworker's Journal, and Wood Magazine. Fine Woodworking Magazine is usually on a bit more advanced level, but still nice to check out.

Peter Quinn
05-05-2008, 1:41 PM
Tage Frid, James Krenov, Mark Dugenski, Lonnie Bird, Mario Rodriguez, George Ellis. Read a book by each of these authors and if you retain half of what's in those pages you'll be off to a running start, if not you'll at least have a solid reference for beginning your foundation.

This is by no means a comprehensive list, there are so many great craftsmen and women to learn from. These are merely a few whose books spoke to me.

Greg Hines, MD
05-05-2008, 2:07 PM
I have several of Norm Abrams books, and find them a good companion to the New Yankee Workshop. If you are interested in a hand tool discussion, I recommend Measure Twice and Cut Once.

Doc

Jerome Hanby
05-05-2008, 2:20 PM
My wife walked in Saturday morning with that book. It was $.50 from a garage sale down the street. It has a ton of projects in it,all kinds of stuff!

Big Book of Weekend Woodworking Projects by
John Nelson (for some really nice, simple projects to get you started)

Brad Knabel
05-05-2008, 2:22 PM
Peter Korn's "Woodworking Basics: Mastering the Essentials of Craftsmanship" is an excellent introduction to woodworking. He walks you through some basic skills and takes you through the construction of 2 fairly simple projects.

For most of the skills he presents 2 or more methods for achieving the same result so you can tailor the projects to the tools you have. For instance he explains how to flatten and dimension wood by hand and also by using a jointer and planer.

I like this book for beginners because it takes you through the things you need to know step by step without overwhelming you.

Good luck!

J. Z. Guest
05-05-2008, 2:32 PM
Another vote for the Bill Hylton router book. There is just so much that can be done with the router that it really does warrant its own book. This is the best one I've read on the subject.

Abram's original New Yankee Workshop book is also one I consider essential.

Another poster's point on a quality finish is 100% true, so there should be a book on The List on that vein.

A book on wood species & their characteristics is also great. "The Real Wood Bible" is the one I like the best. (I've read two, and browsed several others) It has background on which woods are endangered as well as the classical criteria.

Brad Schmid
05-05-2008, 2:52 PM
Honestly, I have to say that there is an immense amount of information right here on SMC! I usually search here first before going back to my library of books. Any topic that's been discussed in a book has probably been hashed over here many times, so sometimes you not only get the view of the author, but the collective experience of everyone from new to lifelong woodworkers, professional or otherwise. Better yet, you can find things here that aren't written in any books ;)

Bottom line, there are some excellent books out there, but don't overlook this resource:cool:

Richard M. Wolfe
05-05-2008, 3:36 PM
The best reading? The instruction manuals for your tools....and then use them.

OK, that's being a little simplistic....and smart---. You can learn a lot from books, but, really, nothing beats hands on. Do some reading, sure, but at some point it becomes overkill. You try something, screw up and say to yourself, "Aha, that's what they meant". Start with something simple like a wall shelf. Don't attempt an heirloom highboy for the first project. I will agree that going over a good book on finishing is worthwhile, because nothing is as maddening as taking great pains making something; spending endless hours sanding, etc. only to hit it with something and have it look like...

Also in your reading - Read up on things like matching woods and especially proportions. The best joinery in the world won't help something that just looks off.

Welcome to the fun world of sawdust. :)

Mike SoRelle
05-05-2008, 3:50 PM
Yet another vote for Bob Flexner's Understanding Wood Finishing book as well as Kelly Mehler's Table Saw Book.

Make sure you take the time to understand your tools and know how to tune them, nothing will frustrate you more when starting out than cuts that aren't true because a tool is out of alignment (and many are out of alignment straight from the factory)

Mike

Larry James
05-05-2008, 5:09 PM
I'm trying to educate myself on general woodworking and would like to know what you consider to be must have reading materials such as books, magazines, etc. Keep in mind that I am a complete beginner to woodworking.

Thanks.

1) Try to narrow "woodworking" down to you the projects you want to do first with the tools you will have available.

2) Buy books, like those mentioned in this thread, that are specific to the tools you have or plan in to buy in the near future.

3) Books/Magazines that cover joinery. This has to be the most difficult, as well as the most important, skill to learn. Finishing may be a close 2nd, but only after you have joined the wood.

4) Magazines like ShopNotes and Woodsmith. No advertising and good information. On the other hand, reading the advertising can be a good source of information.

5) Web Sites and Web Searches. There are many. For example, look at http://www.woodshopdemos.com/menu2.htm and http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/.

6) Free woodworking catalogs. Catalogs like McFeeleys.com - check on the tech link for most of what you need to know about screws.

This is not an all inclusive list, but a start.

Larry

Eric Larsen
05-05-2008, 8:15 PM
Everything Taunton Press has ever published.