PDA

View Full Version : chucks - question and recommendations? and mini pre-gloat

Thom Sturgill
05-05-2008, 11:20 AM
I just got confirmation that my Jet 1220VS is shipping today, so now I have a question about chucks. I see that PSI has a small three jaw chuck (http://www.pennstateind.com/store/lcm18x.html) of the type I used 40yrs ago on a metalworking lathe (~$50) and Woodcraft is advertising a self-centering chuck (http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=20042) for about $70.

What is the advantage of one type over the other or will I need both, and if anyone is familiar with these specific chucks or brands, are they good or do I stay away from them?

I do NOT expect to do a lot of turning (I know, famous last words as the vortex grabs me...) and mostly smaller bowls, boxes, tool handles, maybe later some pens as gifts.

Bob Hamilton
05-05-2008, 12:02 PM
Hi:
I would say the 3 jaw chuck you link to would not be a good choice. The contact area of the jaws is way too small, so they will crush the wood as the chuck is tightened. Since it is 3 jaws there will be no way to orient the workpiece so that each jaw is closing on an area of the wood that has anywhere near the same grain orientation so one or two jaws will be closing on wood that crushes easily and the third closing on wood that has more resistance to crushing. That will move the workpiece off center which defeats the "self centering" aspect of the chuck. The small contact area will also not get a very good grip on the wood. It would work fine for metal working but I would not consider it a woodturning chuck at all.

The other chuck appears to be a 4 jaw scroll chuck which is a much better choice for woodturning. It is a tommy bar operated chuck rather than a key operated chuck but I personally do not consider that a drawback. I can't speak to the quality of the specific chuck, but at least it is the proper design.

Good Luck!
Bob

Scott Hubl
05-05-2008, 12:15 PM
The first chuck, MAYBE after you have a couple of chucks and use that little one for a specific task like turning bottle stoppers(but their are other ways for that)
The second one I have no experience with as I have Oneways and Teknatool Nova chucks (8 chucks so far not counting vac chucks)

I have heard good praise on the Barracuda chuck listed here as a good chuck and a very good value with all the accessories you also get with it. I think it would suit you much better than the 2 chucks your looking at.
http://www.amazon.com/PSI-Woodworking-CSC3000C-Barracuda-System/dp/B000KIACTG/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1210003666&sr=8-1

Bob Hallowell
05-05-2008, 12:59 PM
If you are looking for cheap but still decent I used this $42 grizz for a while and it works well I have turned some 12" bowls with it http://www.grizzly.com/products/G8784 It's limitation is the tommy bars

That be said I have the psi barracuda2 It is always the on I use and it works great.

Bob

Russ Peters
05-05-2008, 1:04 PM
I bought that three jaw chuck thinking that it would be a good starting chuck for small pieces. I was wrong. It may be fine for smaller already balanced pieces but for anything that is off balance it does not have the holding/griping power for much else. I will probably save up for the barracuda or talon. They seem to be the most popular/used/versatile ones that are talked about.

Jim Underwood
05-05-2008, 1:11 PM
The little three jaw chuck is probably a knucklebuster too. You get closer to that chuck in woodturning that you do with a metal lathe, and you just don't want something hanging out of it that will tear you up. Several people have used those though. They wrap a colorful sweatband around it or some tape to keep it from hurting you.

I agree with everyone else. Buy a decent scroll chuck made for woodturning. So far I have three Nova chucks from Technatool, and I appreciate being able to interchange the jaws between them. That's not a bad way to go. Before it's all over, you'll have several anyway.

Russ Sears
05-05-2008, 1:35 PM
Thom, I'm new at this and have experience with exactly one chuck, the Woodcraft that you referenced. It seems to work well and appears to be well made. It's heavy and the workmanship looks fine to me. It's a Pinnacle.
I picked up a set of #1 jaws along with it.

Since my Jet 1014i has an indexing head, the tommy bars are inconsequential. Lock the spindle and tighten the chuck with one hand while holding the blank with the other. Actually, the few items I've turned with it have been small enough that hand tightening was adequate to hold the blank while I tightened with the tommy bar.

You won't need a chuck to turn pens. Pick up a pen mandrel and you're good to go.

Thom Sturgill
05-05-2008, 2:09 PM
I'm trying to find a middle road and buy something I will not later regret as inadequate but also not regret having spent too much. You guys are really helping a newby out here! I could see that the ability to tighten single handed could be important, so thanks, Russ Sears for the comment about the indexing head - the 1220 has that too. Bob, that's a good point about the small area on the jaws, I will hold off on that style.

The OneWays and Novas seem a bit rich for starting off, I guess this is where I want to know if there is really that much difference that a novice? How do they compare to PSI chucks?

Woodcrafts 'Pinnacle' brand seems to be made by various manufacturers that are willing to put the Pinnacle name on a custom version. I would not be surprised to find that it is actually a PSI chuck.

I like the idea of reusing parts (jaw sets) between different chucks, so I think I will go with a brand name, but not necessarily a big brand. Maybe one of the PSI sets like this barracuda (http://www.amazon.com/PSI-CSC2000C-Barracuda-Lathe-System/dp/B000KICC62/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1210009440&sr=1-19) or their utility chuck (http://www.pennstateind.com/store/cug3418c.html) would work until I get more experience.

Jim Becker
05-05-2008, 2:58 PM
Woodcrafts 'Pinnacle' brand seems to be made by various manufacturers that are willing to put the Pinnacle name on a custom version. I would not be surprised to find that it is actually a PSI chuck.

PSI, in general, sources products from the same places that other similar business do. It's more likely that Woodcraft is purchasing from the same source as PSI rather than buying a "PSI chuck". Nature of the business...

Gary Muto
05-05-2008, 4:23 PM
I have the barracuda (CSC200C) and have only used that chuck. I have no trouble using Tommy Bars and had heard that the scroll keys will sometimes strip. It works well as advertised and I saved a little money if I want to upgrade. I think I paid about $120 at Amazon, which was less than through PSI directly.

Bernie Weishapl
05-05-2008, 4:39 PM
I have 3 of the Grizzly H6265 chucks for $99. They have held up to 16" bowls with no problems and the Vicmarc 3 1/2" chuck jaws will fit it if you want different jaws. I also own the Vicmarc 3 1/2". The fit and finish may be a little better but $99 vs $219. Here is the site for them.

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2008/Main/132

Tom Steyer
05-05-2008, 11:40 PM
Thom,

I turn on a Jet 1624 2hp lathe, equipped with a Oneway Stronghold chuck and a Oneway Talon chuck. I got the Stronghold with the lathe, and recently acquired the Talon. The Talon is about the same size/capacity as the PSI Barracuda. The Talon has exceeded all my expectations - if I had started with it, I don't know if I would have added the larger Stronghold in my first year of turning.

I just spent all day Sunday turning on a Jet 1220vs equipped with the PSI Barracuda chuck. In my opinion, there is no comparison, the Oneway Talon is better in every respect - construction, quality, ease of operation, and grip. I think high quality chucks are a place to spend a little extra to get a superior and potentially safer product that will be trouble free and reliable.

To be sure, there are other well regarded brands - Vicmarc and Nova come to mind and come highly recommended by many on this forum. Consider that a higher initial investment in a top-quality chuck will likely pay off in performance, safety, reliability, and longevity.

Thom Sturgill
05-06-2008, 11:25 AM
I can see the difference in the OneWay jaws vs everyone else, and believe they would probably hold better, but the others are probably 'good enough' or everyone would not be using them. I thank you all for your input. I expect to buy the smaller Barracuda set that comes with several jaws ($116 at Amazon) and spend the $300 difference on wood. If I find myself doing more turning that I expect, I would upgrade to the Talon. The Talon, with two jaw sets, costs more than the lathe itself, and I still need to buy other accessories like drive centers (steb?), better (and different) chisels, etc, etc..

Norm Zax
05-06-2008, 11:36 AM
The 3 jaw is really bad. Stay away from it. I bought it and regreted the act after a single use. I now have the Nova G3 (went on sale for 30% off and was guaranteed to be made in NZ, isnt any more). Its much much better. Be weary of any chuck for under 100$.