PDA

View Full Version : Modify a Craftsman Drill Press

Luther Oswalt
05-05-2008, 10:15 AM
I have a Craftsman 15-1/2” Heavy Duty Floor Drill Press Mdl # 113.24520 which has a very heavy machinist type table. When the table, which is very heavy, needs to be adjusted up or down you simply loosen a clamp and wrestle it to the position you want … now I have reached a point where I am tiring of wrestling with this thing and would like to install a “rack and pinion” type screw adjuster on the drill press. I am wondering if anyone has done this type modification and if so where did you get the parts … I have tried the Sears Direct Parts online site and am less than impressed with the ability to search even using late model drill press model numbers … the column is about 2-3/4” in diameter …
Leo

Rod Sheridan
05-05-2008, 10:57 AM
Hi Luther, I haven't modified a drill press to accept a rack and pinion mechanism, however I have seen several older drill presses modified with a counter weight.

This is similar to a sash weight, a small pulley block was added to the head, a cable attached to the table support, and a weight suspended from the cable.

They work quite well as a counter balance to the weight of the table.

Regards, Rod.

J. Z. Guest
05-05-2008, 11:06 AM
It might be easier and more beneficial in the end to design a height-adjustable woodworking table for the stock table. Then, you'd have a nice, big, clampable surface and a fence to work with.

If you do design a height adjustment mechanism, you might try to incorporate an automotive scissor jack rather than try to do a rack & pinion.

Steve Bishop
05-05-2008, 6:56 PM
I saw a picture where someone had purchased a trailer jack from Harbor Freight, cut the wheel of then bolted it upside down to the column. He said it worked great raising the table, but had to help it lower the table.

Get the trailer jack with the crank handle on the side.

Steve

Joe Walsh
05-05-2008, 10:30 PM
Try this. Get a worm gear drive winch from Harbor Freight $30, on sale $20. Works great raising and lowering table even with weight on it. The table will not fall when not locked in position because of the worm gear.

Don Abele
05-05-2008, 10:49 PM
...Get a worm gear drive winch from Harbor Freight...

Now that's a innovative solution!!!

Though now I'm jealous that you have a drill press table capable of lifting 2000 pounds!!! :p

Be well,

Doc

David G Baker
05-05-2008, 11:53 PM
I attached a heavy duty spring to the upper portion of the drill press and the other end to the table. It isn't perfect but it really helps with the heavy table.

Luther Oswalt
05-06-2008, 7:29 AM
Joe - I really like this solution of using the worm gear. I will try that ... Thanks to everyone for their suggested solutions!
Leo

John Grogan
05-06-2008, 11:54 AM
luther:

I have an extra NIB craftsman drill press table for the 17" drill press that you can have. This one has the gears in it. You would need to find the metal cog strip that goes along the pole. I can send more detailed specifics if you want.

John

Luther Oswalt
05-06-2008, 12:59 PM
John I sent you a PM.
Leo