PDA

View Full Version : HF #7 Maple (formerly hickory) Embellished Per Suggestions

BILL DONAHUE
05-04-2008, 10:16 PM
Great forum for the new turner! The critiques make a guy try something new and take chances. I considered all the suggestions for this bland looking hollowed form re. embellishments and since I couldn't do a re-chucking I tried a finial. Used a board of spanish cedar and made a 2 part finial that had some of the same colors in the maple form and that dressed it up a lot. Did it with the new Sorby spindlemaster, a very useful tool. The "before" picture was done using a flash, the 2 with a finial, without flash. Thanks for the help.

Richard Madison
05-05-2008, 12:43 AM
Looks good Bill! There is a nice flow of the line from "shoulders" of the hf that continues right up the finial. Better with the shades closed behind.

Now go build a photo set-up, or tent, or maybe just an old sheet for a background.

Bernie Weishapl
05-05-2008, 10:02 AM
Great looking piece. The finial sure did make a difference. Well done.

Allen Neighbors
05-05-2008, 9:34 PM
Well done! Stick your chest out! :)

Bill Bolen
05-05-2008, 9:58 PM
I thought it looked good before...guess it looks gooder now! Really a pretty piece. Congrats...Bill...

curtis rosche
05-06-2008, 7:29 AM
very nice, the finial adds alot

robert hainstock
05-06-2008, 10:26 AM
You are right, it has morphed into maple. Either way it is a nice piece and worth a prominent place in the curio cab, or on the display shelf where your sweety put those kinds of things. Very nice work. :D:D
Bob

Ben Gastfriend
05-06-2008, 4:32 PM
I really like this with the addition of the final! The finial is VERY NICE!

Geoff Hanha
05-06-2008, 4:39 PM
Shows what a little more thought on a piece can do, changes it totally, Bill your starting to rock now mate..Geoff