PDA

View Full Version : changing planer blades

Craig D Peltier
05-04-2008, 10:04 PM
Hi, My question is. I have a 20 inch powermatic # 208 that I want to take the blades out of. It has a nick in it. The planer didnt come with the planer knife tool (sawhorse looking tool). Is it needed?

On my 12 inch ridgid you just untighten the square nut and take blade out and plop the new ones in.When they hit bottom there in. Is the powermatics not as easy as this?
Also are the blades sharpenable on these or are they throw aways?

Boy its alot quiter than the ridgid, I like that.
Also what is the chip breaker bar? What does it prevent or do?

Thanks

Alan Schaffter
05-04-2008, 10:51 PM
Check out Bob Vaughn's excellent online video. (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-986589700074242027&q=bob+vaughn&hl=en) It will answer all your questions.

John Bush
05-05-2008, 1:20 AM
Hi Chris,
I have the video and copy of the article from FWWing if you need it. I have the Parks 12"er he demonstrated on and his explanation is very helpful to replacing knives on any machine. If the nick isn't too large you may be able to loosen them and slide them a few mm each way to overlap on alternating blades. If not, I have used Emerald Tools for blade sharpening. They are on 6th Av. South just a few blocks from Woodcrafters. (6332 6th S,--206-767-5670). They do a great job and are reasonable $$ as well. Good luck, John.