PDA

View Full Version : Dunnowood Vase with Leather

Ben Gastfriend
05-04-2008, 7:06 PM
I haven't posted anything in a while. This one came out of the DNA a while ago, I just finish turned today and yesterday. I don't know what kind of wood it is, just that a tree was taken down by the city infront of my dad's office, and they left the wood for about a week. My dad said he'd call the lawn guys to come pick it up, so I should take what I want while it's still there. Well, I shoulda took more, because there's some really nice color variation, as well as some nice worm holes.

Now, someone who wanted to sound very prepared and poised would tell you that they intentially left the pith in the wood to create that crack. I won't lie to y'all. I didn't do that intentionally. But what a perfect application for lacing it up with shoestring leather. I'm pretty sure I saw someone do that here, and thank you for the amazing idea.

Dunnowood. 6"x4.5". Sanded to 600 (GLOAT: with new power sanding supplies). Finished with several coats Minwax Wipe on Poly, buffed.

Comments and critiques welcome.

Robert McGowen
05-04-2008, 7:17 PM
I wasn't sure what I was about to see when I clicked on your thread, but I was pleasantly surprised. It does seem to flow together and is a very nice effect. Great job..... :)

Greg Just
05-04-2008, 7:18 PM
Ben:

That is pretty cool - love the creativity shown with the leather

Bruce Pennell
05-04-2008, 7:33 PM
I like it, might have to try a half opened zipper on my next cracked bowl. The lacing looks COOL. Bruce

Tony Bilello
05-04-2008, 7:59 PM
terminate the lacing? Can you take a pic inside the bowl? Pretty Please?

The reason I ask is because your vessel came out A-W-E-S-O-M-E.

Tony B

Steve Schlumpf
05-04-2008, 8:00 PM
Ben - You are growing by leaps and bounds as a turner!!! Great imagination, form and finish! No idea as to the wood but the wood/leather combination sure works in this case! Very nice - keep them coming!

curtis rosche
05-04-2008, 8:11 PM
looks like ambrosia maple? with that bug hole and the color around it

tim mathis
05-04-2008, 8:27 PM
hi Ben,
i like the way it looks, you did a great job.
tim

Paul Engle
05-04-2008, 9:07 PM
Nice work Ben, neat idea indeed !!!:D

Bernie Weishapl
05-04-2008, 9:19 PM
I wasn't sure either what I would see when I clicked on your post. I was pleasantly surprised Ben. Well done.

Jim Becker
05-04-2008, 10:02 PM
For a minute there, I thought I was looking at one of local turner Norris White's pieces. (He typically does stitched pieces out of dogwood)

Very nice job!

Bob Hallowell
05-04-2008, 10:36 PM
Ben, the lacing Idea was great coll peice.

Bob

mike fuson
05-05-2008, 1:39 AM
Neat idea, and a good save.

Don Eddard
05-05-2008, 6:08 AM
Nice job, Ben. Great way of taking a potential problem and turning it into a feature. It also looks like ambrosia maple to me.

robert hainstock
05-05-2008, 10:10 AM
I've pretty well learned that if you post it it will be well worth a look Ben. Really nice piece. The photo is where I first saw the Idea.
WOODTURNING, A scource book of shapes, CC1993. :D

You are like fine wine Ben. Please excuse the scanner wobble.
Bob

curtis rosche
05-05-2008, 6:20 PM
how did you turn the peice with out it blowing up?

Ben Gastfriend
05-05-2008, 8:08 PM
Sorry, I can't take a picture of the inside because they'res plastic lining and potting soil and a flower in this right now. But I'll explain...

I drilled 8 holes on each side of the crack. I then took my piece of leather (a shoelace), and tied a knot in one end. THen I threaded it through so the tied end is inside. Then I laced it up like a shoe, goin out side, then down diagonally inside, then outside, then down diagonally inside. Once I reached the bottom, I began working my way up in the revese matter that I did going down. A knot at the top on the inside and a little CA made sure it would stay. Then I cut the ends.

I don't know how it didn't blow up. I took light cuts and prayed.

Bill Bolen
05-05-2008, 8:43 PM
Great save Ben! Cool bowl now. Bet it looks even better with the flower inside...Bill...

Allen Neighbors
05-05-2008, 8:56 PM
Ben, that's wonderful! Now, try some baling wire on a pretty rough looking piece. Bowls repaired with rusty baling wire sell like hotcakes. Then try some copper wire... then... well, you get the idea. :D
I gave my sis an oak platter once, that I had filled a void on the side with Turquoise. She took it home to New Mexico. It cracked, big time. She sent it back with a note to "fix it". I drilled holes and laced it with leather, and sent it back. It's now her favorite piece.
You did well, Ben!

steven carter
05-06-2008, 8:52 AM
Great job Ben, I really like it. You made lemonade out of lemons!

Mark Patoka
05-06-2008, 9:09 AM
Great way to save that piece and it looks good. I've gotta remember to try that on some pieces.

Scott Lux
05-06-2008, 9:13 AM
I like it a lot. It's a great shape (my favorite), and nicely done. But I have to ask, am I the only one who sees a corset? :D

Geoff Hanha
05-06-2008, 9:49 AM
Hi Ben, bummer on the split, never used this DNA have tried a few mothods, it looks as though you have cleaned it up buy cutting straight, myself i would have just sanded around the spit parts leaft it more natural look then laced it up and maybe a darker lace/leather.;) But thats me all to there own, but never get put of by nature or of a bungle of your own, just find a way around your mess and make it work for you. Have fun..Geoff

Glenn Hodges
05-06-2008, 12:07 PM
Ditto on all of the above, thought I'd just say I like it.

Ben Gastfriend
05-06-2008, 4:31 PM
Hi Ben, bummer on the split, never used this DNA have tried a few mothods, it looks as though you have cleaned it up hbuy cutting straight, myself i would have just sanded around the spit parts leaft it more natural look then laced it up and maybe a darker lace/leather.;) But thats me all to there own, but never get put of by nature or of a bungle of your own, just find a way around your mess and make it work for you. Have fun..Geoff

I'd have to agree with the darker leather, but that's what CVS had, and I needed to get it done. Believe it or not, I didn't clean the crack up that much. Pretty amazing how straight it split.

Dennis Puskar
05-06-2008, 10:12 PM
Great fix now you have a South Western style bowl, very cool I like it.

Dennis