PDA

View Full Version : Ron Brese Infill Kit

Jameel Abraham
05-04-2008, 6:59 PM
Back in March I was contacted by Ron Brese about beta testing his new 650-55 small smoothing plane infill kit. I gladly accepted.

I should first say that I've been using hand planes since I got "serious" with my woodworking when I was in my early 20's, and have spent quite a bit of time setting up, fettling, sharpening and using old Stanleys, wooden planes, and Lie-Nielsens. I just recently decided to see what these infill planes are all about. Price was a huge deterrent for me. Until I was contacted by Ron. This kit puts a high-performance infill smoothing plane within the reach of a whole bunch of people. And you dont need any metal-working experience to accomplish the task. This was the first time I've ever peened metal, for example. The rest of the kit is basic woodworking, although it does take serious attention and a fair amount of skill to fit the infill the way I did. A basic kit would be even easier.

I used ebony for the infill, shellac and wax for the finish.

Incidentally, this plane will be a smaller companion to my Lie-Nielsen 164, set at 57 degrees which I also use for difficult woods. What's very interesting is the Brese plane weighs 3 lbs. 5 oz., is 1/2" narrower and a whopping 3" shorter than the 164, yet it's only 7 ozs. lighter. This little guy is a real bulldog.

Thanks Ron for a great kit, and all the excellent help along the way.

First test drive. :D

...okay, okay..;)

David Tiell
05-04-2008, 8:38 PM
That's beautiful!!! Where do I find one of those kits? Does Ron have them on his website? I would love to build one of those myself.

Doug Shepard
05-04-2008, 9:15 PM
Wow. Nice job. Were the scalloped sides and higher infill part of the original kit or something you requested? Either way it looks sweeeet.

Jim Becker
05-04-2008, 10:04 PM
Wow...that's one beautiful plane, Jameel!

Ron Brese
05-04-2008, 10:06 PM
Doug,

When Jameel and I were corresponding about the kit he mentioned that he was very familiar with the plane and was thinking about a version with an overstuffed infill and asked if I could leave the top edge of the body without the chamfer to give him this option. I of course complied with his wishes. When he had the practice infills fitted he thought that he might like to make a cut out behind the front bun I encouraged him to go ahead with his idea and I think it turned out quite well.

Jameel did an excellent job of blogging the process of completing the kit so you may want to check out his blog of this and other projects.

oudluthier.blogspot.com/

Ron Brese

Chuck Hamman
05-04-2008, 10:48 PM
Jameel,
What a fantastic job. Excellent craftsmanship, and I'm very impressed with the vision you had to come up with that design. Are you the first of Ron's beta testers to finish?

Regards,
-Chuck

gary Zimmel
05-05-2008, 12:09 AM
Jameel

That is one nice looking plane.... You did a outstanding job.

Doug Shepard
05-05-2008, 5:47 AM
Jameel did an excellent job of blogging the process of completing the kit so you may want to check out his blog of this and other projects.

oudluthier.blogspot.com/

Ron Brese

WOW. WOW. WOW. Outstanding work and great blog pics and writeup of the process. If I didn't already have one coming in a brown truck, this would make me want to run right out and try a kit. Mr. Brese sure picked a winner for a beta-tester.

Jameel Abraham
05-05-2008, 9:05 AM
Thanks everybody. This kit was a blast to build. And the best fun is yet to come in the using. It will be a little hard letting the patina develop on this beauty. But I think I'll manage. :D

I think I am the first tester to finish.

David, if you go to Ron's site (http://www.breseplane.com/Plane_Kits.html) the kits are up and available.