PDA

View Full Version : I hate being 56!

Rich Engelhardt
05-04-2008, 9:11 AM
Hello,
Bah!
Being 56 means you're too old to do anything, but not old enough to do nothing!:o

7 hours on my hands and knees yesterday, on a concrete flooo w/a 3" scraper removing a coat of latex floor paint the previous owner had applied over top of a glossy oil floor paint = I'm sore in places that I didn't even have places there a few years ago.:rolleyes:

Ed Scolforo
05-04-2008, 9:50 AM
Wait till you're 61 !!

Lee DeRaud
05-04-2008, 10:20 AM
57 is no picnic either.

One thing that really ticked me off was when one of my local theater chains changed their "senior" age from 55 to 60...about a month after my 55th birthday.:eek:

Joe Pelonio
05-04-2008, 12:04 PM
I'll be 56 in July. As I recall that hands and knees next day ache thing started several years ago!

Ken Fitzgerald
05-04-2008, 12:08 PM
There's only one alterative to aging. Don't rush it.

Glenn Clabo
05-04-2008, 12:47 PM
Ya and you also need to know that it's all down hill from there...

David G Baker
05-04-2008, 2:34 PM
The alternative to all of the pain is the correct type of exercise. If you are in good physical shape you can do many of those things you did when you were younger without all of the aches and pains. Good advice right, do you think I take my own advice? NOT!! I hurt all over when I try to do the things I did when I was in my 50's and exercised. Now at 64 and creeping up on 65 the pain is frequent but I still try to do many of the things I did back then. It takes longer and I try to find ways to use equipment to do most of the manual labor.

Bob Rufener
05-04-2008, 6:04 PM
No batter how bad we feel some days, being on the top side of the grass is better than looking up at it. I'll be 65 in 4 months. My dad died when he was 51 of Lou Gehrig's Disease-ALS. Every day is a gift.

randall rosenthal
05-04-2008, 8:37 PM
when i was 28 i worked at a ski area in utah and skied regularly with a bunch of great skiers that were all in their late fifties through late 60s. they told me the trick was to never stop....never take a few years off...keep moving.

i just came back from a two week snowboard trip....im 60....there's something to it.

Greg Peterson
05-04-2008, 11:11 PM
I try to get to the gym four to five times a week. It is a commitment, but the benefits are exponential.

And even if you can't or don't want to go a gym, just doing some simple exercises at home produce noticeable benefits. Situps, pushups, jumping jacks, yoga (much harder than it looks). It really takes little activity to generate benefits.

Also, one of the most overlooked things to do before, during and after is stretching. Take five to ten minutes to stretch before starting. When you take a break stretch some more. And when you are done, stretch again. Don't bounce or swing around when stretching, just concentrate on slowly , evenly and consistently stretching a particular muscle group. And don't forget to breathe 'into' the stretch.

And don't forget to drink some water afterwards too.

David G Baker
05-04-2008, 11:45 PM
I did the Canadian Air Force exercises for around 15 years and it did wonders for me. Had a couple of on the job injuries and got away from the exercises. I really need to get back to them. They are great and take about 10 minutes a day.

James Suzda
05-05-2008, 7:11 AM
Have you ever noticed how that "old" benchmark keeps moving? When we were 12, 21 year olds were old. When we were 21 then 40 was old. At 40, 55 was old. Now that I will soon be 65 old is 90! I hope I can get to the point when I can say "At 100 that's old!"

randall rosenthal
05-05-2008, 7:49 AM
Have you ever noticed how that "old" benchmark keeps moving? When we were 12, 21 year olds were old. When we were 21 then 40 was old. At 40, 55 was old. Now that I will soon be 65 old is 90! I hope I can get to the point when I can say "At 100 that's old!"

exactly.........(thats a new ,one the prompt told me my message was too short ........but now it not)

Ken Garlock
05-05-2008, 9:48 AM
Rich, I will hit the 68 mark this October. I have found that with time a person's G.A.S. indicator moves from "Do/Does" to "Don't." I consider it part of natures way of putting on the brakes. ;)

Lee DeRaud
05-05-2008, 10:21 AM
Have you ever noticed how that "old" benchmark keeps moving? When we were 12, 21 year olds were old. When we were 21 then 40 was old. At 40, 55 was old. Now that I will soon be 65 old is 90! I hope I can get to the point when I can say "At 100 that's old!"Maybe so, but I still don't trust anybody over 30.:eek::cool:

Keel McDonald
05-05-2008, 1:31 PM
My grandpa used to tell me, "Son, there's no disgrace in growing old, but it sure is unhandy!" I laugh and think of him everytime something about being old comes up.

Ed Breen
05-05-2008, 2:09 PM
Gee, I don't know what the fuss is. I'll vbe 79 next month, and sure I've got some hitches in my git-a-long but since I still go to work everyday, and run a twenty four seven operation I can't afford to get old.
Ed :D:D:D

Jerry Thompson
05-05-2008, 6:44 PM
56! For me the best it gets is when I get up in the morning, take a shower and nothing falls off.http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon12.gif

Rich Stewart
05-06-2008, 10:06 AM
Aging aint for sissies.

Larry Conely
05-06-2008, 12:40 PM
I think I remember being 56.

Paul Geer
05-06-2008, 6:37 PM
It's not so much the years as it is the miles. ;)

Allan Froehlich
05-06-2008, 8:18 PM
Hello,
Bah!
Being 56 means you're too old to do anything, but not old enough to do nothing!:o

7 hours on my hands and knees yesterday, on a concrete flooo w/a 3" scraper removing a coat of latex floor paint the previous owner had applied over top of a glossy oil floor paint = I'm sore in places that I didn't even have places there a few years ago.:rolleyes:

I'm 26 and I dont think that you are old.

Maybe so, but I still don't trust anybody over 30.:eek::cool:

I've learned to not trust anyone under 30. Decency and trust builds with age. Most young people these days seem to want to get all that they can without moral guidance.

Craig Summers
05-06-2008, 11:35 PM
Im a spring chicken in this coop, getting close to 36 ;) I got 20 years to catch you guys.

My thoughts are simple. Be grateful to God that you are 56 and enjoying the life you have, the woodworking, family, the kids, grandkids etc ..... :)

I lost my dad when he was 56, and I was 20. Maybe if I learned something, pay more attention to the warning signs, its not always just an aching muscle or upset tummy.

Rich Engelhardt
05-09-2008, 7:59 AM
Hello,

It's not so much the years as it is the miles
LOL!
Yep - being 56 is bad.
Getting to 56 was quite a ride! ;)

Still - when you look forward to taking an elevator ride - simply because it let's you catch a few quick winks - somthing ain't right.:confused: