PDA

View Full Version : 3hp super gorilla question

chris del
05-04-2008, 9:00 AM
I have a 3hp super gorillia and due to my 100" ceiling height I had to use the 35 gallon drum. I am consdering cutting a hole in the drywalled ceiling and boxing it in so that I can raise the motor up between the joists and use the 55 gallon drum. The 35 fills up way too fast
Can any one tell me the minimum height required for the 3hp sg with 55 gallon drum? That website only states the height with smaller drum.

I am also worried about circulation around the motor for cooling purposes. Any thoughts?

Jim Becker
05-04-2008, 9:14 AM
My 2hp Commercial is mounted similarly, with the motor up between the joists. (96" ceiling height) There was NO WAY I was going to give up my 55 gallon bin! (And I can fill that in about 20 minutes with no sweat when face jointing and thickness planing even a moderate amount of stock)

You should not have any heat issues as long as you create a "box" as you describe to allow some air flow. If you are really concerned, you could wire in a small fan that turned on at the same time as the machine to keep air flow moving, but in your climate, I doubt that is necessary...it isn't here in SE PA, even with our hot, sticky summer weather.

Wayne Cannon
05-05-2008, 3:33 AM
108" (using Oneida's floor stand). You could possibly make that an inch or two shorter, but it would make removing the drum lid more difficult,as there is not much 10" flex hose between the drum and the cone collar as is. The manual says 'Add 13" for 55 Gal' (p 5) to the 95" for a 35 Gal system.

http://www.oneida-air.com/activekb/getattachment.php?data=NTJ8M2hwIFN1cGVyIEdvcmlsbGE gTWFudWFsLnBkZg%3D%3D

Jerome Hanby
05-05-2008, 1:25 PM
This maybe the only place in the online universe where a post containing the phrase, Super Gorilla" in the title doesn't generate a second glance:D

Larry Browning
05-05-2008, 1:45 PM
Chris,
I have done this exact same thing with my Gorilla. Does yours have the Baldor motor? If so, I can tell you that I have actually checked with the engineering department at Baldor and was told that there should be no problems with overheating even in the enclosed box I created in my ceiling for mine for the Baldor motor that comes on the Gorilla.

chris del
05-05-2008, 8:53 PM
Chris,
I have done this exact same thing with my Gorilla. Does yours have the Baldor motor? If so, I can tell you that I have actually checked with the engineering department at Baldor and was told that there should be no problems with overheating even in the enclosed box I created in my ceiling for mine for the Baldor motor that comes on the Gorilla.

Yes I have the US made Baldor.....

With ceiling joists 16" on center (14.5" between them) I am thinking it will be a tight fit given that the terminal box and capacitor housing are at 90 degrees to each other. This will require some planning.

Thanks everyone for the advise