PDA

View Full Version : Sawmill cutting monkeypod in Hawaii

Peter Luch
05-04-2008, 3:40 AM
Well I've been talking to another member in Hawaii who just cut up some koa wood today so I figured I would post some pics of when I cut up a nice chunk of a 30 year old monkeypod trunk.
Have all the wood air drying in the garage now for use in our master bath for trim and cabinets. So far no checking and its staying real flat.
Most of it is in 4/4 size but a few slabs in 8/4 thickness.

A funny side note is that we got almost to the center and all of a sudden hit an old nail :eek: Left the last piece about 4x6 because of the nail.

Aloha, Pete

P.S. As a note my son standing beside th log is 6'1" (at 16 yo !!)

Peter Luch
05-04-2008, 3:42 AM
And here is some of the finished wood.

Not much grain showing because they use water to cool the blade and it makes a paste with the sawdust.

Joe Chritz
05-04-2008, 8:48 AM
Nice looking stuff.

6'1" at 16? What do you have in the water in Hawaii?

I have never heard of monkeypod so I just had to come look and would be interested to see some finished.

Joe

Chris Padilla
05-04-2008, 9:45 AM
We lived in Hawaii in the early 70s and my father picked up a few end-grain slabs of monkeypod. He still has the slabs as of today. I suspect I shall inherit them one of these days....

gato markham
05-05-2008, 11:35 PM
Does the monkey pod act like koa? if not what is the differance is there a smell?

David DeCristoforo
05-05-2008, 11:38 PM
"...6'1" at 16? What do you have in the water in Hawaii?..."

It's the monkeypod dust....

Peter Luch
05-06-2008, 1:24 AM
Gato,

I think koa is a little harder and has a lighter grain but I've seen some monkeypod that is just awesome.
Works well and come out a little more dark chocholate.

Aloha, Pete