PDA

View Full Version : Relish platter finish?

Toney Robertson
05-03-2008, 9:47 PM
I turned a platter and when I showed it to my Mom she said that it would make a good relish plate. That got me thinking about what kind of finish would hold up to not only water but pickle juice and other various wet stuff for a prolonged period of time without discoloring.

Seal-a-cell?

Any suggestions?

TIA

Toney

Jim Becker
05-03-2008, 9:56 PM
I'd just use mineral oil or a mineral oil/paraffin wax heated mixture to finish something that is going to be used with food. Easy to clean with warm water (no soap!) and quickly renewable. Seal-A-Cell is nothing special...just varnish.

Bernie Weishapl
05-03-2008, 10:09 PM
Toney I use Seal-A-Cell and then topped with Arm-R-Seal. I used this on a set of 10 mahogany salad bowls and the big bowl. They have been using them for about 1 1/2 yrs now and they still look good. I have also used Mike Mahoney's walnut oil followed by his walnut oil/wax combo. I read Ernie Conover's book and contacted him. He says he just uses Minwax Antique oil on all his utility stuff. He said just sniff it and when you can't smell the finish it is ready to use. He wash with warm soapy water, rinses and drys right away.

Toney Robertson
05-03-2008, 10:38 PM
Jim and Bernie, thanks for the replies.

The thing that I was worried about was the fact that at family get togethers such as the holidays that relish plate is liable to have water/pickle juice on it for hours. Sometimes there might be a snack tray out from the time we eat (1:00 pm) until 8:00 pm.

Will the mineral oil/paraffin, general finishes, walnut oil or antique oil take that without discoloration?

Toney

Bernie Weishapl
05-03-2008, 11:22 PM
Well the General Finishes has withstood tomato's, all kinds of salad dressings. I haven't left anything on the plates and platters we have so I really can't say.

Paul Engle
05-04-2008, 7:04 AM
I agree with Bernie, I have used the GF salad bowl finish and like it very much, although I did not use it all up .... it has congealed and now looks like flubber.....:(

Glenn Hodges
05-04-2008, 4:23 PM
I have been eating salad from a bowl finished with lacquer for 2 years, and the finish looks great.