PDA

View Full Version : Recent return to carving and new toolbox

Bill Bolen
05-03-2008, 9:06 PM
I usually post down below in the turning section but have recently started carving again. It’s been almost 2 years since I last carved due to arthritis in my thumbs. Some new medications and a wrist/thumb brace have recently allowed me to start up again!
This is a toolbox to hold all (most anyhow) of my carving supplies. I did this when I was deep into chip carving. Frame is of Red Oak and the carved panels including the carved drawer fronts are Basswood. The top drawer holds all of my chip carving tools; the second holds my smaller carving chisels and sharpening supplies. The lower and deeper drawer holds most of my drawing supplies. Compasses, protractors, templates ECT. Ect. It is about 24” wide 18” tall and 18” deep. The front panel drops down and slides inside of the lower part of the box. Most of the designs carved into the panels are inspired by Wayne Barton’s work….Bill…

Dewey Torres
05-03-2008, 9:15 PM
Very nice. I don't have any health issues yet but I am glad you were able to return to your passion. I hope modern medicine will keep me woodworking all the way to the grave!
Dewey

Terry Beadle
05-25-2008, 8:10 AM
That's an awesome tool box. What a beauty! Great design, especially that front sliding door. Those drawer fronts are really good. Excellent!

Very inspiring too. It must be a pleasure just to open her up and get at it.

Thanks for posting the great pic's.

Scott Hubl
05-25-2008, 12:59 PM
Very Cool looking tool box.:cool:

Nicely done there Bill.

John Timberlake
05-26-2008, 8:17 AM
Great work. Hope you can keep up the carving.

Daniel Heine
05-27-2008, 3:51 PM
William,

That is a very nice tool box. Your chip carving is outstanding. I wish I could do that well. Very Very nice work. I love Kerbschnitzen.

Dan Heine

Daniel Savard
05-28-2008, 8:33 AM
Outstanding! Drawers fronts chip carving is simply gorgeous.

Jeff Mohr
05-29-2008, 7:48 AM
WOW! Nice tool box. Great carving! Do you have any plans for the box?

Bill Bolen
06-10-2008, 2:02 AM
No plans, I just went to the Gerstner sight and found a size I liked and went from there..thanks all for the compliments...Bill...

Don Eddard
06-10-2008, 3:26 AM
I think that may be the nicest tool box I've seen. Awesome work.

Russ Hauser
06-11-2008, 7:46 AM
Beautiful work! And a great heirloom for someone in your family. If you don't have anyone to leave it to, I'll be happy to fill in.;)

Russ

Gary Herrmann
07-11-2008, 7:22 PM
Great work, Bill. My wife is getting into chip carving, I'm definitely going to show her your work here.