PDA

View Full Version : Canted Wall Shelf

J. Z. Guest
05-03-2008, 4:47 PM
I just finished this yesterday.

It is based on an "I Can Do That" plan (http://www.popularwoodworking.com/upload/contents/339/AUG07PW_I%20Can%20Do%20That.pdf) from Popular Woodworking.

I didn't want to take the ghetto route and use nails. So I dovetailed the bottom shelf on, and used screws and face grain plugs for the rest.

I think I'm going to build a few more of these for gifts, and I will do sliding dovetails for the center & top shelves, through dovetails for the bottom shelf, and dowels for the back.

The wood is Red Oak. The finish is 3 coats of Minwax Tung Oil Finish and a couple coats of Johnson Paste Wax.

I think I'm going to give it to my mother-in-law for Mothers Day.

Thanks for looking!

glenn bradley
05-03-2008, 4:56 PM
Very nice. That'll make a happy Mom's Day.

John Thompson
05-03-2008, 6:10 PM
Very nice.. Jeremy. If you intend to make more for gifts.. it should be a relatively simple set-up to do multiples. Would be a clever and nice gift in lieu of just buying something.

Sarge..

Dewey Torres
05-03-2008, 6:56 PM
I remember that article. They have really came out with a great way to teach beginners how to do simple projects. You, like me, have learned to alter the projects to make them fit you taste. Looks good. Two questions:

1) How long did it take to build?

2) What kind of DT jig did you use?

Dewey

gary Zimmel
05-03-2008, 7:20 PM
Very nice shelf Jeremy. Great idea to go into production for gifts.

The sliding dovetails will add that finishing touch.

Bruce Page
05-03-2008, 7:23 PM
Very nice, your MIL will be pleased..., you can never have too many points!

J. Z. Guest
05-03-2008, 8:13 PM
Dewey, I would guess it took me about 20 hours. I'm slow & new to dovetails.

I used the MLCS Pins and Tails jig. (http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/orderstatus/html/smarthtml/pages/dovetailjig.html)

I had to re-cut the bottom because it was originally going to fit between the sides, so the original one was too short.

Sarge, Gary: In the process of making this one, I made templates for the sides and top shape. Next time, it will go faster.

Joe Chritz
05-03-2008, 8:18 PM
Very nice looking.

The sliding dovetail idea would add a touch of class. So would some kind of hidden fastener for the back.

I just may have to do a couple of those myself.

Joe

Jim Becker
05-03-2008, 9:47 PM
Very interesting design!

Bill Wyko
05-04-2008, 3:17 AM
Very nice job. The joinery is superb.