PDA

View Full Version : shallac on pressure trested wook

Lloyd Brown
04-03-2004, 5:48 PM
Will shellac hold up the same on pressure treated pine as well as it does on kild dried pine.( wood will not be outside)

Jim Becker
04-03-2004, 6:35 PM
I would suggest to you strongly to avoid using PT indoors for anything other than where necessary in home construction. The chemicals in it are not exactly something to have lying about, even the "new" variety that is a little safer than CCA.

As to your specific question, shellac will go on and over just about anything...it's considered a universal coating that can go between just about any other finishes, too. (Dewaxed variety is necessary under polyurethane varnish and some water-based products)

Lloyd Brown
04-03-2004, 7:48 PM
The bench will be on an inclosed pourch, with no direct sun.

Jim Becker
04-03-2004, 8:38 PM
Lloyd, have you considered building your bench out of cypress, redwood, cedar or white oak? All of these are nearly as or as durable/weather resistant as the PT, look nicer and will not have the chemicals pumped into them. PT is only necessary for ground contact or structural members outdoors. No need to build furniture from it.

PT also cannot be finished for quite some time as it will be very, very wet when you buy it. You'll need to wait 6 mos to a year before putting on your finish if you choose to use this wood. Again, there are better and safer choices.

Lloyd Brown
04-04-2004, 5:25 PM
Lloyd, have you considered building your bench out of cypress, redwood, cedar or white oak? All of these are nearly as or as durable/weather resistant as the PT, look nicer and will not have the chemicals pumped into them. PT is only necessary for ground contact or structural members outdoors. No need to build furniture from it.

PT also cannot be finished for quite some time as it will be very, very wet when you buy it. You'll need to wait 6 mos to a year before putting on your finish if you choose to use this wood. Again, there are better and safer choices.
We bought the bench, I am calling it a measured proto type. And LOML wanted it fast, so shelac went on, and I will deal with it latter. Otherwise I am told I am stalling. She is happy so I am happy.

Kelly C. Hanna
04-04-2004, 10:33 PM
If the bench has been dry for awhile, it should hold most any protective coating. If not it will peel up pretty soon as moisture from within comes out. If you are sure that no sun will hit it, the shellac should be ok.