PDA

View Full Version : Ornamental turner build

Paul Engle
05-03-2008, 7:19 AM
This project was mostly done on my Jet lathe , all except the spindle it self which was a left over from another project , it is SS and was machine turned, it is not thread stock per se' and is 1"-8 tpi , it has class B threads which gives it a very tight tollarance. The compound slide is a Hardinge tool makers slide that came with the tool holder from Bob Hadley of the AAW, which without this I would not have been able to build the OT as it really is the heart of the system.It is not a Rose Engine lathe by any streatch but allows me to ornament various turnings.I have a lot to learn and anyone already doing this using other OT's out there I would like to converse with you, I have plans for a different spindle head some what like one on the market from Aussie land but it will have to wait as this one is a whole lota fun and works good for light ( up to .045" deep cuts) work .So far I have destroyed some earlier turnings during the learing and tweeking process but now that the thing is stable and repeatable... I need to turn some stuff to apply the OT process to.

Scott Hubl
05-03-2008, 7:39 AM
Very COOL :cool:

robert hainstock
05-03-2008, 10:21 AM
A suggestion, If your camera has a MACRO mode, use it tor those closeups. I can see though that you are going to have lots of fun with that gadget. Make chipe! :)
Bob

Gary Herrmann
05-03-2008, 12:52 PM
That's cool, Paul. Well done.

Bill Bolen
05-04-2008, 2:25 PM
Its obvious you put a lot of thought and effort into this! Great outcome. Hope you enjoy your new tool. I understand that OE lathes are likely to get you hooked even more than just turning!...Bill...