PDA

View Full Version : What do I do with this gloat?

Wade Lippman
05-02-2008, 11:50 PM
My wife suggested that I put some racking out in the basement rec room next to my workshop and move my wood there from my workshop, so I will have more room.

Beat that for a gloat!

Anyhow, I have all the tools I want, though some of them are smaller than I would like, as the workshop is pretty tightly packed now and I have always bought small tool to get them to fit. I have about 250sf now, and the added room will be maybe 20sf. Everything is on mobil bases now, I expect everything (except the lathe) would have to remain that way.

I could upgrade my lunchbox planer for a 15", replace my 6" jointer with a 8", get a 22/44 sander instead of my 16/32, or move my lathe in from the garage (fine in the summer, but useless in the winter). All are desirable, but I only have room for 1 or 2. Well reasoned opinions?

Since the work I do obviously affect what I need, my work is at http://wood.lippman.info/

Jason Beam
05-03-2008, 12:51 AM
I had a very similar thing happen at the last place we were in ... my wife stood in the shop with me one evening - staring at the pile of wood against the wall and said ... and i quote ... "Why don't you build a shed in the back yard for all this wood?"

5 days later, there was a blank space where the plywood used to sit :P

As for upgrades ...

My first thought was an 8" jointer since you build furniture... but ... how big is your bandsaw? More specifically, how tall can it cut? One of the things I kind of (mildly) anguish over now that I have an 8" jointer is that my 14" jet bandsaw only cuts at 6". I should have gotten the riser kit when it was new because now i have all these perfectly good blades that would be too short after putting in the riser block.

15" planer would probably be my next choice if the jointer idea didn't turn out to be practical. ... hey ... come to think of it ... get BOTH - get yerself a combo jointer/planer - then they'll match. Sell the two others to help subsidize that, and then sell the bandsaw and upgrade that, too! :D

I just got a 16/32 myself and personally don't know if I'd get much more use of a 22/44, myself. But if you long for it, you long for it and that's really one of those tools that is very specific to your methods of work, I think.

If you get a combo jointer/planer, you'd have room to move yer lathe in, too! :D

Alan Schaffter
05-03-2008, 12:54 AM
Now you just need to knock the wall down and take the entire basement for your shop! :D

Wade Lippman
05-03-2008, 3:13 PM
I though of a combination machine, but I expect will get a lot more use out of a 15" planer than I would out of a 12" jointer.

Matt Ocel
05-03-2008, 5:57 PM
Wade -
Thats nothin.

My wife said I can have anything I w---

Oh - thats right, I was dreaming.

Never mind.