PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Randy, Bill's Video is Great!

Bruce Pennell
05-02-2008, 9:05 PM
Just wanted to drop Randy (http://www.monster-wood-tool.com/wst_page6.html) a thank you for directing me to Bill Grumbine's video; Turned Bowls Made Easy (http://www.wonderfulwood.com/)
and his new video beyond the basic bowl. I had called Randy to buy his hollowing system w/ laser. He talked me out of it and said get the wolverine sharpening system and Bill's video. He said to learn basic sharpening and how to use basic tools first. What a difference learning a few tricks makes. Bill takes you from tree to finished bowl. He is funny and easy to watch, a great teacher.
Randy did cost me a little money! We talked about my 12" swing Delta 46-450. Told him I liked it for spindle work but bowls I really wanted something bigger. Called Toolnut today, found out I missed the rebate offer and price increase by 2 days. Will get a final price Saturday, still looks like its a go for the Powermatic 3520b. Randy I might have to wait till next month to get the hollowing system (but count me as sold, or should I say I'd like it in Powermatic gold...)
Thank God its only Money...can't take it with you. Thanks to everyone for thier reviews on the Powermatic. Should we rename it the Black Hole instead of the Vortex. It sure seems to suck the money. I just keep telling the wife "now I can use free firewood", after 20 years she still doesn't believe my stories. I was looking at a old 20" swing lathe in Pheonix, she said why don't you spend the money a get a good lathe, why deal with other peoples trouble. What a great wife.....will post pic's of the Powermatic after it arrives. What a fun hobby. Thanks to all! Bruce
Any suggestions on add on's for the Powermatic would be helpful.

Dick Latshaw
05-02-2008, 10:38 PM
Any suggestions on add on's for the Powermatic would be helpful.

Go to thompsonlathetools.com and get some tools. Get a slow speed grinder from Woodcraft (preferably on sale) and a Wolverine jig with Varigrind attachment. Get a Oneway Stronghold chuck. Get some abrasives from vinceswoodnwonders.com. That's a start.

Bruce Pennell
05-02-2008, 11:54 PM
Thanks Dick just got my delivery from Thompson Tools day before yesterday 1/2 and 5/8 v shaped bowl gouges. All ready bought the wolverine system with all but the skew attachment. I'm using a Nova 2 chuck, like it very much. For the Powermatic I'm thinking about remote switch, 18" extension and tool rest extender. Any other attachments needed?
My Delta came with a lot of spindle tools, bought a 1/2 inch bowl gouge, and 1" spindle gouge. Will be making my new handles soon, I like them long and a little thicker at the bottom.
I'm pretty well set on abrasives, want to try the Festool Platin disc's for polishing. The Platin disc's go from 400 to 4000, I've polished flat pieces with it. With nothing added (no finish, wax, ect..) It polished a plain piece of wood as well or better than my Beal Buffing system.
Thanks for the reply...Bruce

Doug Thompson
05-03-2008, 12:51 AM
Bruce, first of all thank you. The remote switch is a must for bowl turning, slide the head stock part way down the rail to hollow the inside of a bowl from the end and the switch is right there.

I just put Randy's hollowing rig on the lathe two days ago... it's sweet.

Bill's video shows you how to turn a bowl in a easy, safe way.

Bruce Pennell
05-03-2008, 1:10 AM
Thanks Doug nice talking to you the other day. Hope your trip home was easy. Going to make my handle soon and give the two new gouges a run, can't wait, had to finish a small bowl out of (locals call it a pepper tree) Nice reds, grays, and light colors in the wood, the centers almost look blood red when exposed to the sun. The tree has small clumps of berries all over.
When I talked to Randy we decided to wait until I upgraded my lathe. Doug that was one of the fastest deliveries on record, great advice on the gouges, Thank You. The remote switch is a go.
Are the extension worth the money, or is it easier to weld up a free stand tool rest to turn off the end? I have 4,6,8,12 inch pipe laying around, lots of smaller sizes too. I know it has to be massive, for safety reasons.

robert hainstock
05-03-2008, 10:37 AM
You have recieved and heeded some realy excellant advice. you might PM Steve Schlumpf as to how He added a tailstock end switch,(moveable) to his Jet 1642. I'm and old electrician, and he and I debated several times the worth of seris or parallel connection. I don't remember what he decided, but the thing rely works and he uses it more often than the headstock switch. Have much fun with the new tool, and post lots of pix. :D
Bob

Bruce Pennell
05-03-2008, 11:04 AM
Thanks Robert I am waiting to hear from Sean at Toolnut, we have been playing phone tag. As Doug suggested I will be buying the remote switch. Just for safety it seems like a great idea, along with being handy when doing large bowls or hollowing. I think I will wait on the bed ext. and ext. tool rest, I used to be a Metal Building Contractor before I became disabled so I still have all my welders, plasma cutters, metal, pipe, ect... Seems like a tool rest would be an easy project. I've seen a few floor model and mounted models on the web, I will have to decide when I get the lathe set up and play for a while. It will be nice to try a larger bowl I'm limited to 9 1/2 to 10 inches now on my Delta spindle lathe. I am electricly challanged, I can change a light bulb, but hate working on 220. Buying the remote would be much easier for me. Thank you and everyone for all the help and advice. Bruce Will post pic's soon I hope! Phone tag isn't a fun game:(, can't wait to get this stuff ordered and shipped.:D

Bruce Pennell
05-03-2008, 12:43 PM
Just placed my order with Sean from Toolnut, very pleasant experience. Have a Powermatic 3520b and remote switch on the way. Great price, nice to deal with. Thanks Bruce :D Now the wait begins, I know I need a adapter for my super Nova 2 chuck, and a 220 plug for the lathe. Have a forklift, do I need anything else other than a strong back?

Jeff Wright
05-03-2008, 1:04 PM
Bruce, congrats on your decision to go with a new PM lathe. I just got mine last week. Here is a link to some pics, including one showing how I set up for reinstalling the HEAVY head stock onto the ways. I needed a second pair of hands for only lifting that head stock back onto the ways. I am selecting turning tools now; thinking of ordering some of the Thompson tools.

Here is the link:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=83342

BTW, I used two adustable saw horses to install the legs to the lathe base. I laid a piece of plywood across the saw horses prior to lifting the base up onto the horses to make it easier to slide the base across one horse to the other.

Dick Latshaw
05-03-2008, 1:07 PM
Have a forklift, do I need anything else other than a strong back?

Assuming you have a ratchet, get yourself an 8mm hex driver for it. It'll make putting the 3520 together go a lot faster.

Doug Thompson
05-03-2008, 3:43 PM
Bruce, your all set... the adapter for the Nova and maybe a 6 inch faceplate is all you need right now. The outboard tool rest sounds like a good idea when your buying the lathe but how many times will you turn something over 20 inches... that's a big blank.

Bruce Pennell
05-03-2008, 4:33 PM
Thanks Dick I'll have to look I'm sure I have an 8mm hex, might have to make sure I have two, cut one to use in my impact.
Jeff thanks I've been reading your thread over and over great advice. Thank You. I just did two handles for my Thompson gouges. Call Doug he will steer you on the right path. Speaking of Doug....
Doug very true I still can't picture the size of the mustard monster, 20" is huge. Did enjoy watching David Mark turn the wall hanging on You Tube. Just got my handles done for my two gouges, look like smallish baseball bats. But it will make it easier on my arthritic hands.
Have two things that should make putting the monster together much easier, a 15k forklift and a 1.5k electric hoist. Should help save the back. It amazes me how inventive you can get when you need too. Also have my small Kabota for light stuff, (under 300 lbs.)
Thanks to all for the advice, I'll keep you posted and hopefully with pic's soon.

Randy Privett
05-04-2008, 7:09 AM
Looks like your well on your way.:D You can't go wrong with Doug's tools.

Randy

Bruce Pennell
05-04-2008, 11:32 AM
Hi Randy, I think Powermatic owes you a kickback. You made it to easy to upgrade lathes. Thanks for the advice, I bought myself an early birthday present. I'll be calling soon to order my hollowing system. Thanks again for linking me up with Bill, great video, think I've watched it 3 times already, lots of info. I will probably make people mad when I say I like his video much more than Ruffin's, or Stubb's, Bill just has a teaching style I like. Remember what I said, big is realitive, Bill's a tiny guy, I'm 6'7" and 480 lbs. The wolverine system was a great option, really improved the sharpness of the tools. Must have been a good day yesterday, ordered my lathe, then bought/traded for a 20' cargo container thats electrified, to help with shop storage. Now I just have to bring the unit down, set it and fill it up (the filling up part will be easy). Now I'll have a 24X30 wood shop and a 8X20 metal/ storage shop. Life is great. Thanks again . Bruce