PDA

View Full Version : new to veneer and have questions

Tim Vice
05-02-2008, 4:32 PM
I would like to start using veneeers most of the reading that I have done uses contact cement as an adhesive. My question is what is the prefered mediumto glue onto, Plywood, mdf???? or other.

Any thickness requirements?

Any information or links is greatly appriciated.

Thanks

David DeCristoforo
05-02-2008, 5:30 PM
The only veneers that are "safe" to glue with contact cement are "backed" veneers. Raw wood veneers must be glued with something like Titebond or white glue. If you visit this web site:
http://www.veneersupplies.com/
and look at the bottom of the "home" page you will see a bunch of links under the heading "Learn More About Veneering". Read all of that stuff. No point reinventing the wheel here....

Frank Drew
05-02-2008, 5:39 PM
Tim,

I agree with Dave that contact cement is inappropriate for most veneers; in addition to Titebond or white glue like Elmers, you can use brown glue (Weldwood Plastic resin glue) which gives you a longer open time, critical for laminations, or one of the specialty glues sold by the vacuum veneer equipment suppliers. For most uses yellow or white glues are just fine and are ready to use right out of the bottle.

MDF is a great substrate because it has no grain to telegraph through; solid wood is also suitable with the understanding that it moves with seasonal fluctuations in humidity; a smooth grained plywood like birch is also fine. For all of these you should veneer both sides but you don't have to use expensive stuff on a side that doesn't show, just a veneer that's about the same thickness as your face veneer.

As far as thickness goes, thicker is better, within reason, but you get what's available, and it's a lot thinner these days than it used to be.

Jim Becker
05-02-2008, 8:01 PM
I'll give you a hint.... joewoodworker.com ...one of the best resources for veneer work on the planet. Nice guy and his related business (mentioned by David above) can provide you with what you need to actually do the veneer work. That's how I got started in the last year and I'm completely satisfied with what I've learned as a result.

Bill Wyko
05-02-2008, 8:08 PM
Like Jim said, Joe woodworker is the best when it comes to veneers and Q&A. www.veneersupplies.com (http://www.veneersupplies.com) He has a Q&A section that should be very helpful.I buy veneer from him regularly. (Thanks Jim for turning me on to him) I also have his xcell-1 vacuum. Excellent system.

Bill Wyko
05-02-2008, 8:11 PM
BTW if you are using a burl wood veneer, he sells a glue that you apply only on the sub straight. This helps prevent the wood from buckling up. Makes life much easier.

Tim Vice
05-03-2008, 6:44 AM
Thanks to all.

I love the look of veneer and had no idea where to start.

Has any one used or recommend the Heat Lock™
Iron-On Veneer glue?? Any advantages over the others mentioned.

Thanks again,

David DeCristoforo
05-03-2008, 12:11 PM
If you are talking about the "Better Bond" glue, yes I have used it and I love it. All of the advantages of contact but cures to a "hard" glue line which makes it possible to use unbacked veneers. In situations where pressing is not an option, this stuff is a good alternative. Also, I have used it on projects where I needed edge banding in a species that was not readily available so my only option was to use strips cut from "raw" veneer. Pressing with white or yellow glue would still be the "preferred" method when possible.

Brad Shipton
05-03-2008, 3:00 PM
I dont know if Joe has any DVD's, but I would suggest you order Darryl Kiels from vacupress. I did before my first attempts and everything went perfectly compared to some of the mistakes I have read about. They are not just to sell his systems, but give step by step instructions how to work with veneers. Some of the things he covers are working with warped veneer, cutting, layout, adhesive options, pressing, equipment options and much much more.

Good luck.
Brad