PDA

View Full Version : question about TransTint/TransFast dyes

Jose Alberto
05-02-2008, 3:05 PM
Hell to all,

For those of you that use these dyes,
I misread the label and I added 2oz of TransFast powder to 2 quarts of water instead of the recommended 1oz.

Can I just add more water now? I am not sure how to proceed since I used hot water to disolve the powder.

Any help will be greatly appreciated,

J

Jim Myers
05-02-2008, 3:15 PM
I mixed some of the red dye pretty strong for 1 job then wanted a lighter shade for a smaller one.

What I did was just add some room temp water until I reached the shade I was looking for.

I think you need the hot water to get the powder to disperse and disolve in the liquid after that you can dilute to reach the desired color.

David Romano
05-02-2008, 3:33 PM
So now your dye is double strength. Pour off half of what you will need, then add the equivalent amount of water. Keep the rest of it in a container and label it as "double strength" or "mix 1:1 with water"

David

Steve Schoene
05-02-2008, 3:59 PM
Absolutely, you can just add water. It doesn't have to be hot water. The hot water is just to aid the dissolving process, once dissolved it's not needed at all. By the way there is no magic about the strength. In fact I very seldom end up using the dye as strong as the recommendation, but starting with concentrate and adding water is the best way to work.

Jose Alberto
05-02-2008, 6:06 PM
thanks guys, first time working with this stuff.

I tell though, I tried another mix I made and this thing goes on poplar beautifully! It stains it very well and evenly.

This project gonna take me a while and I am sure I will have mnay more questions, but I'll make sure to share some pics of it as I go along.

Thank you!