PDA

View Full Version : Finially, It's ALIVE! Gloat.

Ron Bontz
05-02-2008, 2:28 PM
Rising from it's sarcophagus and out from the deep dark corner it came; into the light of day! I can't thank the cave man that invented the wheel enough. My 150lb. frame wrestled the 450lbs. to my bench hoisting one end at a time up to rest on top of my bench. The battle was over. The desire to wrench the white lathe from it's resting place with tenacity and determination won. At 2330 hours the legs went on. The wheels slid under ,with a little more lifting, and off we went to its place of work and play. Now comes the expensive accessories part. I still have to but some more bowel turning tools, hollowing tools and a oneway stronghold. YIKES!
On a different note. I have this great white oak to cut up. My tree fell 1.5 years ago during a close encounter with rotating winds from a tornado. It was between 80 and 100 feet tall. A lot of big white and red oaks fell that year. What a site. One of my neighbors that I don't know has been busy cutting up fire wood. I also have a neighbor that just cut up what may be black oak. It fell last year. The leaves look like white oak but much bigger. The end grain is darker as well. I'll be trying to get some of that also. The dia. is about 16-20" on the black oak or what ever it is, and a whole lot bigger on my white oak.
So could some one tell me what dna is that you soak your bowels in and a good source for the waxy sealer by the gallon? I'll be needing it. Thanks

Rich Stewart
05-02-2008, 2:32 PM
Nice looking lathe. Keep us posted on your bowel turning. Get it dirty now.

Bruce Pennell
05-02-2008, 2:42 PM
Very nice lathe, but don't you need a plug? Enjoy your new toy....Bruce;)

Brian Weick
05-02-2008, 3:12 PM
enjoy your new found love , Congratulations and hopefully we will see some of your work come off of her headstok-:)
Brian

Steve Busey
05-02-2008, 3:37 PM
bowel turning I don't know, that sounds awfully uncomfortable to me!

Steve Busey
05-02-2008, 3:44 PM
So could some one tell me what dna is that you soak your bowels in and a good source for the waxy sealer by the gallon?

You can get DNA (denatured alcohol) at most hardware stores or big boxes. If you have the right size sealed bucket, you could get away with a gallon. Rough your bowl, soak it in the DNA for 24 hrs, wrap it in paper, and let dry for a few weeks minimum. There are plenty of threads here that give a bit more detail, but that's the nickel tour. Most woodworking specialty stores (Woodcraft, Rockler, etc) have some kind of end grain sealer. Just ask them.

Steve Schlumpf
05-02-2008, 4:19 PM
Great lathe - you are going to love it! Looking forward to seeing your turnings!

Bernie Weishapl
05-02-2008, 4:28 PM
Congrats on the new lathe. Can't wait to see some turnings.

Ben Gastfriend
05-02-2008, 8:09 PM
Quote:
bowel turning

I don't know, that sounds awfully uncomfortable to me!

Me too! Ouch. One question, do you mount it between centers or in a chuck?
No, really, congrats on the new lathe. Looking forward to alot of work coming outa that shop!

Richard Madison
05-03-2008, 12:12 AM
Some of us soak our bowels (the inside only) in 4% ethanol. Sold in 12 ounce blue cans, and other colors.

Yeah, I have some cardboard just like that first picture. Very stout, and can be recycled into numerous other applications

Bill Wyko
05-03-2008, 11:24 AM
Congradulations! I love the way you tell the story:D I rember wrestling mine together.

Ron Bontz
05-15-2008, 7:10 PM
Thanks for the comments. Someday I might actually learn to spell.