PDA

View Full Version : Bike Computer Cadance Question

John Weber
04-03-2004, 12:17 AM
I just bought a new bike computer with cadance. In the past I've done some heartrate training, but I ride a mountain bike mostly on rail trials and a little off road (East Central Indiana is not a Mt. Bike Mecca). Anyway, how exactly do you use cadance? Is it mostly used by roadies? I bought a new Vetta RT77 computer on ebay (less then the model RT55 without cadance) and it works great. I've hooked up the cadance, but thought I might snip the wires if I never will use it.

Thanks - John

John Schreiber
04-03-2004, 12:52 AM
I know more about bicycles than I do about wood.

The main reason some people like to monitor their cadence is that over distance and time, higher cadences are more efficient, but you have to train yourself to get used to it. Racing cyclists generally maintain 90 to 110 rpm (slow for a power tool, but pretty fast for your feet). Touring or recreational cyclists typically ride at 80 - 100 rpm. Any slower than that and the strain is greater on your knees. Having a cadence monitor reminds you keep your rpm up even when you're getting tired.

Of course, you can also count strokes for 20 seconds and multiply by three or just go with what feels good. Cadence monitors are also more prone to failure because the wires have to go down the downtube and out to the chainstay, and they cost more.

Carl Eyman
04-03-2004, 8:01 AM
I think John stated it very well. I might add one or two things. Too slow a cadence is non-aerobic exercise. I believe the threshold is about 60. If you want your exrtcise to be aerobic and your pace efficient choose a cadence well above 60 and try to keep it constant changing gears as necessary. At least, this is the pitch I used when I used to have a bike store and wanted to sell gadgets. In my own riding I got to depend on the things.

John Weber
04-03-2004, 11:18 AM
Thanks guys,

I'll leave it on for now and see if I like it. I do some fitness rides on the road, so I'll try to keep my cadance up. I just didn't love the extra wires running down the downtube. I tried a cordless computer, but even with a new battery, it seemed I would lose the single on occasion - so back to hardwired.

John

Mark Stutz
04-03-2004, 5:49 PM
John,
I have a cadence computer on both my road and mountain bikes. The latter is used mostly on a "rails to trails conversion". I ride mostly for exercise, and find that keeping my cadence constant leads to less muscle fatigue and makes for a more pleasant ride. I often combine it with a heart rate monitor as well. I use it more than the MPH setting and now wouldn't be without it.