PDA

View Full Version : Lathe tools for pens

Chris Barnett
05-02-2008, 1:14 PM
A recent post noted an Amazon sale on a PSI lathe chisel set; this particular set is smaller overall than the normal sized PSI Benjamin's Best. Would this smaller size with 10 inch handles and 6 inch steel be the appropriate size or would smaller tools be even better? This is only for pens and other smaller objects, as large tools are already on hand.

Tony De Masi
05-02-2008, 1:34 PM
Chris, I have turned many a pen with the tools I have for things much larger. Actually I only use three tools for pens. The spindle roughing gouge, a parting tool, and the skew. IMHO I just don't see the need for the "pen tools".

Tony

Chris Barnett
05-02-2008, 2:36 PM
Thanks Tony. Have a 3/8 bowl gouge, and other large tools, but will need to get a spindle gouge and skew. Appreciate the info. Would guess maybe a 1/2 gouge and skew would be about right?

Steven Wilson
05-02-2008, 3:22 PM
I use my regular turning tools for pens - 1 1/4" roughing gouge, 1" skew, 1/2" skew, Bedan, etc. I like the leverage of large, long handles.

Dan Allemand
05-02-2008, 3:29 PM
I have the smaller set.. I think I have used them twice.. Once when I got them. And found out I didn't like them.. Then again about a year later. I tried them again and still didn't like them.. :eek:

Bernie Weishapl
05-02-2008, 4:31 PM
Chris I started with this set from PSI. I still use them today.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/lxwm1007.html

Paul Douglass
05-02-2008, 8:18 PM
Never turned a pen with the small tools but can not image doing it. I use my regular lathe tools, they work fine.

Chris Barnett
05-02-2008, 8:51 PM
Thanks for all the comments. Glad to hear that existing tools are satisfactory for the pens. DW is glad too that I don't need more tools....(this time...no, but maybe next will proffer a gloat:)).

Bobby Perry
05-02-2008, 9:20 PM
Chris do like I do get all the handles the same color and then she never knows. :D

Steve Campbell
05-03-2008, 8:07 AM
Chris;
I bought the small set of turning tools from Woodcraft a couple years ago when I started to turn pens. What a mistake. They are small enough that it is almost impossible for me to turn with out getting a lot of chatter. There just isn't enough heft to them. Also The skew is only 1/4 inch. I have a real hard time with that. The set also came with a 1/8 inch gouge. I still haven't been able to get the tool rest close enough to prevent chatter on that. I have used them for small finial work but that is about all they are good for. One last thought is about sharpening. The ones I have are too small to use with my Wolverine jig so I have to sharpen them on a belt sander. Not very repeatable for me. Oh well live and learn.

Steve

robert hainstock
05-03-2008, 10:15 AM
The only possible need for those tools, (IMHO) would be for detailing (?). I have only used one tool on my pens, A 1 1/4" modified roughing gouge. :)
Bob