PDA

View Full Version : I thought that the full face shield was a god idea

Richard Kagen
05-02-2008, 1:05 PM
I am teaching myself and enjoying the desent into the vortex, just now I was making nice progress on my first bowl...

My it does happen quickly, the big piece hit me right center in the middle of the face shield, probably would have broken my nose

Jerry Rhoads
05-02-2008, 1:15 PM
Keep up the safety
I'm glad you had the shield and were not injured
Too bad for the wood though:(

Jerry

Steve Schlumpf
05-02-2008, 1:28 PM
Kind of makes it into an adventure doesn't it? While this kind of thing doesn't happen often - it does happen! Glad you were wearing the faceshield and weren't hurt! Did you have a catch or was it just a spontaneous selfdestruct?

Richard Kagen
05-02-2008, 1:40 PM
I was starting to work on the rim, as soon as I rounded over into the inside, bam!

Jim Evans
05-02-2008, 1:55 PM
Don't want to steal your thread but I have a question on face shields. I have a cheap one that is uncomfortable to wear. So guess what, it sits on a hook - protecting the hook.
Any recommendations on a good one that has some good qualities and easy to wear?

thanks for any opinions.

Michael McCoy
05-02-2008, 2:08 PM
I'm a novice Jim but after catching a 6 inch blank with my nose, (for the same reason yours is protecting the hook) but I picked up the Bionic Shield at Woodcraft. It's regularly $49 but frequently on sale for $39. It's comfortable and has bore the brunt of my learning process (it has replaceable plastic inserts :))

Bruce Pennell
05-02-2008, 2:37 PM
Jim if you don't mind spending hard earned cash....Trend pro (http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/product/trend-airshield-pro.html)
Best money I ever spent, would have to say it's my number one tool. My playing starts by turning on the lights, starting the CD player and putting my hood on, then cranking up the lathe. The hood blows filtered air over your face, so you don't sweat much. Best money I ever spent. Great service and very fast delivery from envirosafety, would deal with them anytime. Battery life around 8 hours, I didn't buy an extra battery because I only work for short periods. Very nice unit, very comfortable to wear, I wear it over my glasses. Best thing is no more brown snot after woodworking. Hope this helps, Bruce:rolleyes:

Mike Peace
05-02-2008, 3:18 PM
Glad you had your face mask on.

I found that my first bowls were taller, deeper than they should have been, increasing the turning challenge prematurely. You might want to do a few shallower bowls before tackling deeper ones that increase the risk of flying.

curtis rosche
05-02-2008, 6:24 PM
heres the peice that hit me with out a face sheild, lucky you you had a sheild and it was hollow, i had this peice between centers and it is solid, it slipped out and hit my nose from the side, because lucky me, i had stepped back to look at something, if i had been straight on it wouldve shatered a cheekbone or 2 and a nose..... always wear a sheild, if you dont like wearing a face shield, you can make or buy a shield on a hinge that goes on the lathe so that you dont need a face sheild
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=83018&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1204418941 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=83018&d=1204418941)

Gordon Seto
05-02-2008, 7:18 PM
Currently it is on sale for 10% less here: and the old model is only $210.
http://allprotools.com/

James Stokes
05-02-2008, 7:27 PM
Several years ago a good friend of mine lost an eye on the lathe.

Bernie Weishapl
05-02-2008, 7:38 PM
It only takes once but after my blooding nose healed the LOML bought me the Trend schield that Gordon has a link to. I never go in my shop without it on if I am turning or I don't know which would hurt worse. The wood hitting my face or the LOML after she gets done with me. Yes after 40 yrs. I have learned.:rolleyes::cool:;)

Ben Gastfriend
05-02-2008, 8:04 PM
Best thing is no more brown snot after woodworking. :rolleyes:

Amen, Amen!

Gordon Seto
05-02-2008, 8:07 PM
When I am turning very tiny stuff, I may just wear the magnifying safety glasses.
But if I am sanding exotic, such as Cocobolo, I must wear the powered respirator helmet. Otherwise I would have runny nose, sneezing, swollen eyes.
It is like having insurance, hopefully we will never use it. Hate to without the coverage in case something happens.

Mark Hix
05-02-2008, 8:46 PM
I always wear the face shield. Saved my face about 10 days ago! Then again, it might have improved it! Best money (next to the lathes) that I have spent.

Hilel Salomon
05-02-2008, 10:50 PM
If you decide to get the Trend, there are several posts, including one of mine which tell you how to get much cheaper, longer lasting battery packs. One of the Sawmill posts explains how to use lithium ion packs which will last forever.
Luck, Hilel.

Dennis Peacock
05-02-2008, 11:10 PM
Maaannnn Richard.....

Your face was sure hard on that bowl.!!! :rolleyes: :p :D

Glad your are unhurt. Now, get back on that horse and ride another bowl.

Bill Wyko
05-03-2008, 11:31 AM
A little trick I learned, don't even have saftey glasses in the shop. Face shields only.;) Sorry to see what happened to your turning. I blew a piece apart then night before last.:(:o

Bruce Pennell
05-03-2008, 12:57 PM
Bill I know the type of turnings you do that had to be expensive firewood.:( Really like to see your work. Bruce