PDA

View Full Version : Replacement blades for stanley plane

Mark Vaughn
05-02-2008, 12:56 PM
does anyone know of a good value/quality source for replacement blades for an old stanley #4 handplane? thanks for any help

Phillip Pattee
05-02-2008, 1:18 PM
Craftsman Studio has Hock and Lie-Nielsen replacement blades at very good prices. http://www.craftsmanstudio.com/html_p/planeblades.htm

Jim Koepke
05-02-2008, 2:52 PM
does anyone know of a good value/quality source for replacement blades for an old stanley #4 handplane? thanks for any help

There are a lot of options.

I have used everything from what can be bought in almost any hardware store for about $10 to a Hock high carbon steel blade.

The Hock is a much better blade in my opinion, but the hardware store stock replacement will do a decent job.

If you want a replacement that is historically correct, try Bob Kuane, Johnny Kleso or Clint Jones. If you are not in a hurry, blades are often up for bid on eBay. Just remember, there are likely a lot of others looking for the same blade as you are.

jim

Johnny Kleso
05-02-2008, 3:01 PM
A friend Chris here in Atlanta imports some fine blades for Chinese Craftsman how make them like the Japanese do..

http://galoot-tools.com/life/main.html

Jim Koepke
05-02-2008, 3:08 PM
A friend Chris here in Atlanta imports some fine blades for Chinese Craftsman how make them like the Japanese do..

http://galoot-tools.com/life/main.html

Gee, I new prices were going up, but I had no idea they were up that high!

jim

Mike Henderson
05-02-2008, 4:00 PM
Gee, I knew prices were going up, but I had no idea they were up that high!

jim
I think some of those blades are for people who want decorative blades rather than just functional blades. Pretty pricey though.

Mike

Jim Koepke
05-02-2008, 5:04 PM
I think some of those blades are for people who want decorative blades rather than just functional blades. Pretty pricey though.

Mike

Makes me wonder if maybe a little money could be made by painting pastoral scenes on some of those old short plane blades like people did on saw blades.

jim

Johnny Kleso
05-02-2008, 6:48 PM
Jim,
You have to look at the low priced blades which are still 1 st class..

I was planning on writing Chis and tell him to put those at the top and think of a better name than Economy Series Bench Plane Blade: $59

Chis is from Germany and I think Samari Grade is better name than Economy :)

I wrote Chris and I hope he'll join SMC and reply...

Bill Houghton
05-02-2008, 10:27 PM
on which the back (opposite bevel) is ground to a guaranteed flat. I've got one so far, and the speed with which I was able to get it ready to put in my plane was pretty impressive.

I've heard that the Hock irons used to need lots of flattening - don't know if that is still true.

Joel Goodman
05-03-2008, 1:30 AM
Lie Neilsen also sells plane blades -- get the .95 thick made for Stanley's. Also come with back flat and like LV are good folks to deal with.

Duncan Potter
05-04-2008, 11:27 AM
I have used Hock blades and chip breakers on my two old Stanleys, #3 and #5. IIRC, price for the blades was about $40 each. They are thicker than the originals, and to my inexpert eye, sharpened up easily and quickly, including flattening the backs. I bought from Ron directly, and after talking to him he recommended the least exotic hardening, can't remember which it was (A2?).

I can take .002 shavings easily with both planes, and I am a definite beginner.