PDA

View Full Version : Have I mentioned lately that I hate tornado's??

Dennis Peacock
05-02-2008, 12:26 PM
Siren's going off......
One has already hit between two towns not far from here. Sure makes one a tad uneasy. ;)

Mitchell Andrus
05-02-2008, 12:28 PM
I've been listening to CNN all day. Stay safe.

Eddie Watkins
05-02-2008, 1:54 PM
My brother was right under the one that came through here yesterday. He has golf ball sized hail marks all over his new Avalanche to prove it. We had a lot of 50 mph straight winds but managed to stay out of the path of the tornados, it was about 5 miles from here.

Eddie

Jim O'Dell
05-02-2008, 2:08 PM
Dennis, that may be the same storm that hit Canton Tx (east of Dallas) about 4 to 4.5 hours ago. I could see the cloud bankt to the east of me when I headed into work at 7:00 this am. According to the noon news, the storm blew up very quickly. Keep an eye out, and know where you can go to get away from it!! Jim.

mark page
05-02-2008, 9:41 PM
Twas a tad bit gamey up here last night too. Had baseball sized hail several places, thank goodness that missed my place. We suffered from 50+ mph winds and a neighboring town reported a tornado touchdown. Daughter called from her apartment at 2:30 AM that power was out and hailing & high wind, had to get up to watch news to find the status for her. The same front hit me before I was off the phone with her. I know now why she called:eek:

Ron Jones near Indy
05-02-2008, 10:11 PM
Yes, Dennis, they are an awsome power. One passed by our house last spring--missed us by 150 yards. Some destruction--several homes damaged-- just down the road; not even a twig on the ground here.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-02-2008, 11:32 PM
Dennis....they aren't a favorite of mine either! I've slept through 2 that either lifted the trailer I was sleeping in or moved the one 30 feet from teh one I was sleeping in and observed 2 from approximately 1 mile away. If I never see another tornado it'll be too soon.

Randal Stevenson
05-03-2008, 1:51 AM
Reports of a tornado through Independence. About 3 miles from my work, an Arby's was obliterated, it went a ways, jumped over to by a house I keep thinking about buying (late friends house setup for 5 cars), jumped, over through my work traffic route (power poles and stoplights still gone) and was airborne and disapaited about two blocks from my parents house.
A few years back we had one through Liberty Mo (not far at all), one of my coworkers was drunk and both watched through his windows and went outside. He said he thought one of his roommates spiked his beer with something (college age). With how close it got, they were REAL lucky (across the street).

The funny thing, my boss was trying to describe to me where it hit, and he kept saying the Arby's by the Trailer place. Here I am thinking of another Arby's and trying to figure out where a trailer park is (standing Missouri joke, tornado's go for trailer parks). It was a tow trailer sale place.
Lot's of untrimmed trees down, lots of people lost power at times. Here at home I heard winds that were getting close to the tornado descriptions I had heard, and I was considering heading to the basement (semiawakened by it).

Jon Lanier
05-03-2008, 2:40 AM
I understand Dennis, I live Xenia, Ohio. We get weary here when those alarms go off.

Dennis Peacock
05-03-2008, 8:30 AM
As of this morning....3 dead and 13 injured.
The really sad part is 1 of the dead is a child. My heart goes out to all those that have been effected by yesterdays storms.

Greg Cole
05-03-2008, 12:55 PM
The storms in the KC Metro area were too close to home for me. Some of the worst damage is less than 2 blocks from my home :eek:, and yet I think I had one twig of a branch in my yard when the sun rose.
Worst of all is the sirens went off twice earlier in the night when there was nothing in the area for storm activity, sun was shining and nothing storm related nearby. But in the middle of the night at @ 2:30 am with 70-100 mph winds HOWLING and tornadic activity literally in the neighborhood not a peep from the sirens?
Thankfully no major injuries or deaths, but one heck of a mess in certain spots.

Greg

Randal Stevenson
05-03-2008, 2:24 PM
The storms in the KC Metro area were too close to home for me. Some of the worst damage is less than 2 blocks from my home :eek:, and yet I think I had one twig of a branch in my yard when the sun rose.
Worst of all is the sirens went off twice earlier in the night when there was nothing in the area for storm activity, sun was shining and nothing storm related nearby. But in the middle of the night at @ 2:30 am with 70-100 mph winds HOWLING and tornadic activity literally in the neighborhood not a peep from the sirens?
Thankfully no major injuries or deaths, but one heck of a mess in certain spots.

Greg

Greg, I know what you mean about the sirens. I was on the way home when they were going off about 9pm. Work told me about some customers, complaining that the sirens outside were making their kid's ears hurt, and could we do something about them..:rolleyes:
Yet when it sounded like a train roaring by my porch, not a peep from them.

Bryan Rocker
05-03-2008, 7:07 PM
I sympathise with you. Tornados look like fun thing on tv. However, they are much much worse when you have to come face to face with one. I lost my house in the May 3, 1999 tornado in Oklahoma City and I was still physicly in the house at the time......Up until that time I never even gave tornado warning a second notice. After that my family really stressed out when the sirens/warnings came out. We were that way until we left Oklahoma in 2005. My heart goes out to any person who joins the group of us folks who can claim to have faced a tornado. I wouldn't wish that upon any soul alive. Stay safe and find good cover.

Bryan

Ed Breen
05-05-2008, 2:22 PM
Hey Dennis
Those were killers on Friday!! We were on our way back from Horseshoe Bend to Muskogee that morning and for some reason I decided to go back on 412 instead of down to Conway and take 40 back. Which would have taken us through Batesville, Heber etc.
We drove and listened to the reports. The worst was the 16 year old. It sure makes you feel for her parents.
Ed:(

Chris Padilla
05-05-2008, 2:32 PM
Interesting times in Tornado Alley! Twisters are just scary, scary looking formations. I saw them plenty of times as a kid in Colorado.

Now if we could harness the energy to spin turbine to generate electricity, that would be something!!

Eddie Watkins
05-07-2008, 12:09 AM
For what it is worth, SMC has made me see the light. Several weeks ago there was a thread about tornados and it occurred to me my television actually cost more than a storm shelter. As of today I now have a storm shelter my TV can be proud of.:rolleyes: And just in time,, we have severe weather coming thru tomorrow and Thursday so watch out AR/MO. By the way, the storm shelter cost $2150 installed for anybody interested. I'm not trying to sell them, just giving a number to compare.

Eddie