PDA

View Full Version : A Most Tragic Day for The Creek and All Who Visit

Keith Outten
05-02-2008, 11:19 AM
I just received an email from Ken Salisbury's daughter informing me that Ken lost his latest battle with cancer yesterday, May 1st 2008.

We all will share Ken's families loss of a dear and very close friend and fellow woodworker, an American Veteran, a beloved father and wonderful Coach to many young people. I have known for some time that this day would soon arrive but I have always kept my faith and hopes high that Ken would eventually beat his battle with cancer. I don't know anyone who battled so hard, fought so vigilantly or that was more courageous through multiple battles with cancer.

Those who are new here may not remember our "Super Moderator" Ken Salisbury as his health has prevented him from being active here for some time. Affectionately known as "The Old Rebel" Ken was instrumental in helping me start up and manage SawMill Creek from the very first day we went online. I have said many times that I could never imagine a SawMill Creek without Ken, our loss of a dear friend will always be with us as time will never heal the loss of The Old Rebel in our hearts.

Ken's words and pictures of his projects will always be here for all to enjoy. I hope that this will provide some comfort for all of you who share our loss today of a dear comrade. To all of you who Ken has helped through the years both here at The Creek and at Badger Pond I share your sorrow on this very sad day.

Keith Outten

Dennis Peacock
05-02-2008, 11:28 AM
Keith,

I am most saddened by this news. I've met Ken and he's the one that taught me to turn pens and small turnings. Ken always gave unselfishly to SMC and any woodworker that he came across. I share the sorrow and I pray for peace and comfort for the family and friends of Ken Salisbury.

Rest in peace my friend....rest in peace.

Rob Bodenschatz
05-02-2008, 11:38 AM
A very sad day indeed.

Rest in peace, Ken. You will be missed.

Ken Garlock
05-02-2008, 11:41 AM
It makes me sad to hear of Ken's departure. I have wondered recently how he was doing. I can't add anything to Keith's comments above, but I am sure that all the 'old timers' here at SMC will miss him and have many fond memories.

Roy Wall
05-02-2008, 11:44 AM
My deepest sympathies to the Salisbury Family.......my prayers are sent to you all.

Matt Meiser
05-02-2008, 11:48 AM
Very sad indeed. The Salisbury family has my sympathies.

Steven Wilson
05-02-2008, 11:48 AM
Very sad news indeed. I was wondering where Ken was. I knew he wasn't posting often but didn't know his cancer had come back this aggressively.

larry merlau
05-02-2008, 12:08 PM
sorry to hear of your loss, i never met him in person have been in touch with him in years past and thoguh we may not always agreed with himm you understood! he will always be remebered in agood way! the rebel in all of us was reflected off him! and thats a DARN good thing!

Dave Anderson NH
05-02-2008, 12:28 PM
I offer my sincerest condolences to Ken's family. I was fortunate enough to have known Ken from the old Badger Ponds days and then here on the Creek. On a business trip to Alabama about 4 years ago I was a visitor and guest at Ken's home. I arrived just after dinner time and we whiled away the hours in his shop and living room talking about all things woodworking related. Finally about 2AM I decided that I had to leave to drive the almost 2 hours back to my hotel room in Gadsen in order to gert some sleep before catching a 9AM flight out of Birmingham. As a parting gift Ken gave me a beautiful Zebrawood pen. It has graced my workday shirt pockets ever since. As I look at it sitting on my desk in front of me right now I am both saddened and heartened. I feel better knowing Ken is in a better place, no longer feels pain and frustration, and is already making plans to start up a heavenly woodworking school. I am saddened that his friends and family now have only memories of him , and I feel sorry than many of the members here never had the opportunity to partake of his knowledge and wry sense of humor.

God bless you and rest in peace my friend.

P.S. As Keith alluded to, Ken was a veteran of combat in Korea. Few know and he didn't say much about it, but he was the recipient of a Siver Star awarded for valor while he was a young enlisted man.

Chris Padilla
05-02-2008, 12:30 PM
R.I.P., Ken...God knows you deserve it. Best wishes to all his family and loved ones. Ken shall be missed!

Don Abele
05-02-2008, 12:31 PM
When my mouse hovered over the thread, I quickly glanced at it...when I read it, it felt like a punch to the gut.

Ken was the super moderator, but he was also a super guy. Always helpful and witty.

He was just in my thoughts this morning when I saw a thread that had resurfaced after three years and the last post was by Ken.

My sincere condolences go out to Ken's family and all here that knew him. He will be missed.

Be well,

Doc

Tony Falotico
05-02-2008, 12:45 PM
I am deeply saddened to hear of Ken's passing. My condolences to Ken's family.

Tony

Ken Fitzgerald
05-02-2008, 12:48 PM
I never met Ken face-to-face but I spoke with him once. I didn't always agree with him but I always respected his opinions. Rest in peace my friend. To Ken's family and many friends...my sincere condolences.

I'll tip a BL in your memory tonight Ken.

Jim Becker
05-02-2008, 12:57 PM
Very sad. I did get to meet Ken at one of the Five Barns picnics and enjoyed every minute of it. He will be truly missed from our community and beyond.

Anthony Anderson
05-02-2008, 1:23 PM
When I logged in yesterday, I was wondering about Ken, as we haven't heard from him in quite awhile. There were always times that Ken would not be around for awhile, but then he would "pop" back up, and give us an update. I just figured he would be back, and give us an update as to how things were going. Unfortunately that won't happen this time. I never met Ken, and only knew him from here, at SMC, but wish I could have. Ken was his own person, and spoke what he believed, regardless. That is a quality that is becoming more rare these days, and one of the reasons that I respected him greatly. Ken, you will be missed. To everyone, cherish your days, and count your blessings. Sincerely. Bill

Steve Clardy
05-02-2008, 1:25 PM
My condolences to Ken's family.
Steve

Bob Noles
05-02-2008, 1:32 PM
Most shocking and sad news for sure Keith. Ken's family and loved ones will be kept in my prayers. Ken was a tough fighter, but can rest now from all further battles.

My most sincere condolences.

Lee Schierer
05-02-2008, 1:40 PM
I was priveleged to meet Ken on two occasions and both were memorable experiences. He helped my daughter turn her first pen, which she later gave to me. What impressed me the most was his ability to instill confidence in novice woodturners that they could do the turning themselves.

He will be greatly missed.

Tony De Masi
05-02-2008, 1:40 PM

Tony

Keith Outten
05-02-2008, 2:17 PM
To some extent every post made here is a tribute to The Old Rebel. I remember many times when I was having problems here consulting with Ken over the phone with both of us brainstorming to try and decide on the best course of action to solve the problem at hand. Many times in the past when my frustration and worry peaked over how I was going to pay the bills here it was Ken who would call me and offer advice and support, mostly a few jovial words to calm me down I guess but his wit was hard to deny.

There were many times we disagreed but I never doubted Ken's loyalty or his commitment here and to the Freedom Pens Project. There won't be a day in our future that I log into The Creek that I won't miss him and his sense of humor.

Ken helped us put together the SawMill Creek SwapMeet we had here at our home several years ago and I have video of Ken's pen turning demonstration at the Five Barns Picnic we attended awhile back. Those who never had the opportunity to sit a talk with Ken while he was consuming his favorite beverage missed out on one of life's memorable experiences :)

Jim O'Dell
05-02-2008, 2:19 PM
I am also saddened by this news. The Creek lost a good one today.

Ken, slap Dale on the back for us and and have a good talk.

Jim.

Mark Stutz
05-02-2008, 2:29 PM
This is indeed a sad day, not only for his family, but his on-line family as well. I truly wish that I had had the fortune to meet Ken in person here on this Earth, but thru his many activities and posts I do feel that I knew him well. Ken, you will be missed by all of those you have touched. Rest in Peace. Our prayers are with you and your family.

Mark

Brian Weick
05-02-2008, 2:52 PM
Am so sorry to hear the news ~ I really liked Ken , He was full of wisdom , a great individual and he will be sadly missed . :(
Brian

Glenn Clabo
05-02-2008, 2:53 PM
I sad day indeed. Coach and I had more in common than woodworking. There have been many PM's and emails about our other love in a past life. We both enjoyed coaching young adults. I will always remember and respect The Coach... as a friend.

God please watch over the Coach...but be prepared to hear some good stories.

Bill Roland
05-02-2008, 3:17 PM
I am saddened to here of Ken's passing and offer my deepest sympathy to his family. He will be sorely missed in the WW world. I know he fought a long a hard battle.

Jim Tobias
05-02-2008, 3:36 PM
While I never had the pleasure of meeting Ken, I still felt I know him pretty well from the days at Badger Pond and then Sawmill Creek. He seemed like a man of strong conviction. As a former high school coach and AD myself, I always appreciated his "Bear Bryant" quote at the bottom of his postings. It told you a lot about his character and pride. I wish him peace and comfort in the better place that he is in now. His wisom and wit will be missed. My thoughts and prayers are wiht his family.

Jim

Al Navas
05-02-2008, 3:39 PM

Al

skip coyne
05-02-2008, 4:09 PM
sorry to hear it , my condolences

Russ Sears
05-02-2008, 4:11 PM
As a newbie here I never had any interaction with Ken but it's obvious what kind of influence he had (has) here. I don't know him and yet I feel a bit of a loss.
Keith, if you care to share what Ken's favorite beverage was, I might tilt one in his honor.

Richard Wolf
05-02-2008, 4:24 PM
God Speed.

Richard

John Shuk
05-02-2008, 4:31 PM
Godspeed Coach.
Bud Lights all around.

Jason Roehl
05-02-2008, 4:35 PM
I, too, had the privilege of meeting Ken on several occasions, from the "End-o-Pond" gathering at Ray Thompson's to a Five Barns gathering, and even the honor of being a guest at his house for a few hours. On top of that, both of us spent many hours commiserating in the chatroom when it existed here. Norm Abram may be the public face of woodworking, but Ken has probably done more over the years in perpetuating the woodworking hobby, much of it pro bono.

My prayers and deepest condolences are with the Salisbury family. Godspeed, my friend.

Bruce Page
05-02-2008, 4:37 PM
Ken, Rest in Peace. You will be missed.

George Beck
05-02-2008, 4:59 PM
I am sad for this news. This man was a true wood worker. He will be missed.

George

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
05-02-2008, 5:03 PM
I am deeply saddened to hear of his passing. He was a a little crusty on line at times, but when I met him in person at the Good Bye Badger Pond party I realized I did not know the man till I met him...he was a kind and sharing soul.

My condolences to his family and friends...

Ken Werner
05-02-2008, 5:06 PM
Condolences and heartfelt best wishes to Ken's family and loved ones.

Joe Pelonio
05-02-2008, 5:11 PM
It's very sad to hear about Ken. He was very active when I first found the Creek, and I have been trying to keep up with his recently infrequent posts
in the hope for better news. Condolences to his family.

We miss you Ken!

Joe Unni
05-02-2008, 5:13 PM
Hat off...
Glass tipped...
Heart heavy :(
-joe

glenn bradley
05-02-2008, 5:20 PM
Sad news indeed. Condolences to the family.

Karl Laustrup
05-02-2008, 5:52 PM
It is a sad time for the "Creek".

While I didn't agree with Ken all the time, I did respect him. Differing view, mutual respect.

Condolances to the Salisbury family.

Karl

Jim Dunn
05-02-2008, 6:24 PM
Our sincerest sympathies to Ken's family and all at SMC who knew him.

Gary Whitt
05-02-2008, 6:31 PM
Sad news.
My condolences to his family.

Lori Kleinberg
05-02-2008, 6:33 PM
My condolences and prayers to the Salisbury family. Our "Super Moderator" will be missed.

Jason Roehl
05-02-2008, 6:33 PM
I need to add, those of you who know me, know that I DON'T drink Bud Light, but that was Ken's beer.

I had my wife pick up a 6-pack and am hoisting one now in his honor.

Gary Whitt
05-02-2008, 6:42 PM
To some extent every post made here is a tribute to The Old Rebel.
Might be good to save this thread, print it and give it to his family as a tribute from SMC.

Rob Russell
05-02-2008, 6:45 PM
I only knew Ken as a commited supporter of the Creek.

Ken was a "character" and that's meant in the best of terms.

Ken - may your Bud Lights always be cold!

Greg Hines, MD
05-02-2008, 6:53 PM
Many condolences to his family.

Doc

Brad Hammond
05-02-2008, 6:55 PM
I'd like to also offer my deepest heart felt condonlences to Ken's family and friends. I'm proud to say that the short time I'd spent with Ken has made a life long impression on me. As a nurse I've met many many people, but i've never met anyone else who has been through so much and yet carry so much grace and compassion for his friends and family. The mold that they used to make Ken was broken long ago.
I firmly believe that our country was built and protected by people like Ken.

We have all been blessed to have had the time that we've had with Ken.

John Schreiber
05-02-2008, 7:00 PM
I knew Ken for many years through this forum. It is a sad day for us and for his family. My condolences to them.

This forum will continue to be a memorial to Ken and to the contribution which he made to woodworking, to the Internet and to us all.

Bill Wyko
05-02-2008, 8:05 PM
I didn't know him but My prayers are with his family. My 81 year old father is in recovery from spinal surgury a week ago. It's very difficult to see a family member in that condition. I'm sure it was difficult to see him suffer through this cancer. May God be with him and your family.

tim mathis
05-02-2008, 8:24 PM
i am very sorry to hear this.
the Salisbury family will be in my family's prayers.
tim

Brad Noble
05-02-2008, 8:26 PM
Well, I never met or spoke to Ken but I have certainly read about everything he ever posted up here and looked forward to each and every one. He shall be missed.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.

Brad

Gary Herrmann
05-02-2008, 8:34 PM
His family will be in my thoughts.

I think he was the first moderator I ever talked to here on the Creek.

Joe Mioux
05-02-2008, 9:29 PM
ken, took a lot of heat around here, even when he was sick.

He was committed to this forum and the Freedom Pens Project.

He always did what he thought was best for this forum.

He will be missed.

God Bless You, Ken.

joe

Simon Dupay
05-02-2008, 9:45 PM
Simon

Ron Jones near Indy
05-02-2008, 10:02 PM
You will be missed Ken! I never met him but conversed with him occasionally. Not only the Creek, but all who frequented Badger Pond or here have lost a good friend. My prayers go out to Ken and his family.

Ted Calver
05-02-2008, 10:16 PM
A man of convictions is always missed. Condolences to those he loved.

Peter Stahl
05-02-2008, 11:02 PM
Sorry I never got to meet him. My deepest sympathies too.

Tom Henry
05-02-2008, 11:34 PM
If we all strive to only meet a fraction of what this man did for our woodworking community, the creek will always be a great place!

My condolences and prayers to the Salisbury family.

Brad Hammond
05-03-2008, 12:06 AM
If anyone would like to send a card to the family I have an address for Kens daughter. PM me and i'll be glad to pass it along.
Or if it's appropriate I'd be glad to post it in this thread.

brad

Ray Schafer
05-03-2008, 12:11 AM
My prayers go out to Ken's family.

Keith Outten
05-03-2008, 7:21 AM
As a newbie here I never had any interaction with Ken but it's obvious what kind of influence he had (has) here. I don't know him and yet I feel a bit of a loss.
Keith, if you care to share what Ken's favorite beverage was, I might tilt one in his honor.

Russ,

The Old Rebel was more than just a little fond of Bud Light, it was a subject he loved to discuss and a beverage he loved to consume.

Rich Engelhardt
05-03-2008, 7:57 AM
Hello,
Sad news indeed.
My condolences to all his friends and family.
God bless.

Keith Starosta
05-03-2008, 8:12 AM
Deepest sympathies go out to Ken's family.

God bless you, Sir.

- Keith

Greg Heppeard
05-03-2008, 8:53 AM
Farewell Ken...see you in the big sawdust pile in the sky.

Mark Singer
05-03-2008, 8:58 AM
This is a sad day, Ken was a wonderful man. My condolances go to his friends and family.

Don Bullock
05-03-2008, 9:39 AM
My deepest sympathies to the Salisbury Family And to all of you who knew Ken. As a fairly new contributer I didn't get to know him here, but greatly appreciate all his help and support in getting Sawmill Creek and making it the special place that it is today.

Pete Simmons
05-03-2008, 9:50 AM
There are a few tongue drums in this area thanks to Ken's help in building them.

Ken - Wherever you are thanks for the help.

He will be greatly missed.

John Stevens
05-03-2008, 10:34 AM
...I could never imagine a SawMill Creek without Ken, our loss of a dear friend will always be with us...

Well put, Keith. Those of us who knew him from The Creek will miss him, and I can only imagine how much more is the loss felt by his family and those friends who knew him personally. My condolences to all.

Regards,

John

Don Stanley
05-03-2008, 10:44 AM
This is sad news - a true loss for Sawmill Creek! My prayers will be for Ken's family.

-Don

John Keeton
05-03-2008, 12:30 PM
Came to the creek to late to know Ken, but he obviously has left a mark on the world. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family, and to those here that knew him and were blessed by his involvement in SMC. It is a good thing when a man leaves this world and so many are impacted by his departure. He surely is looking down with humility at the outpouring.

Augusto Orosco
05-03-2008, 1:27 PM
I am fairly new and didn't have the fortune of meeting or interacting with Ken. But I am very aware that the benefits I enjoy here at the Creek have been possible because of the generosity of people like him.

My deepest sympathies to his family.

Bart Goldberg
05-03-2008, 2:28 PM
Hi All,

I remember Ken from his Badger Pond days. He was a great guy, and a valuable member of the woodworking community. My condolences to his family and to all who knew him.

Regards
Bart

Heather Thompson
05-03-2008, 4:50 PM
I am new to this site, but I would like to suggest that the members of the Creek show their respect to a wonderful man by possibly making a contribution to show their admiration to a wonderful human being. I do no not know if he had a favorite charity, maybe a donation to a cancer organization. He gave so much to this community that I think WE should show our respect in his passing, flowers only last for a few days.

Heather

Dennis Peacock
05-03-2008, 6:14 PM
Here's to you Ken!!!!

One for the road buddy!!!!

Joe Mioux
05-03-2008, 9:34 PM
Here's to you Ken!!!!

One for the road buddy!!!!

Dennis, I am enjoying an Ice Cold Bud Light, right now.... and thinking about Ken's previous comments here at smc.

joe

James Ayars
05-03-2008, 9:42 PM
Very sad news. :(

John Bailey
05-03-2008, 9:50 PM
Most call me a health food nut - vegetarian and organic only, never any alcohol. However, I think I'll go down a cold one in honor of Ken. I don't think I would have gotten so involved with the Creek if it hadn't been for the Ole' Rebel Rascal. He'll be missed.

John

Bobby McCarley
05-03-2008, 11:23 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of Ken. I never had the pleasure of meeting Ken but felt that I knew him through the closeness of the Creek. He will be surely missed.

Toss one back for the Ole Rebel. Godspeed Ken, and keep the lathe spinning.

Bobby McCarley
Louisiana

Ken Fitzgerald
05-04-2008, 12:41 AM
This BL is in your honor and in memory of you Ken! Be at peace.

Bob Genovesi
05-04-2008, 7:18 AM
My sincerest condolences to Kens family and friends. May God comfort you in this time of mourning and pain.

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/1609/crossea9.jpg

Keith Outten
05-04-2008, 7:39 AM
I am new to this site, but I would like to suggest that the members of the Creek show their respect to a wonderful man by possibly making a contribution to show their admiration to a wonderful human being. I do no not know if he had a favorite charity, maybe a donation to a cancer organization. He gave so much to this community that I think WE should show our respect in his passing, flowers only last for a few days.

Heather

Heather,

An excellent idea!

May I make a suggestion that I think would please Ken more than anything we could do. I suggest that we take up a collection and send the fund to a school that is active in the Freedom Pens project. The shop teacher could use the funds to purchase more mini lathes, pen kits and supplies that are needed to keep his students active in the program. All donations would be a tax write-off as the Freedom Pens project is a 501C Tax Exempt Organization.

Freedom Pens was one of Ken's favorite projects, he really loved supporting our Troops and put his heart and soul into making it a success. The flip side of this effort would be our Service Members benefiting from receiving pens from American Students, nothing could be more precious to them.

Comments?

Possibly some of our turners who haven't made any pens in a long time might be willing to donate a few pens to the Freedom Pens Project in Ken's name. Ken was a Korean War Combat Veteran and retired Army officer who was very proud of his service to this country.

Tim Morton
05-04-2008, 9:33 AM
A great man who will be missed by many...

this buds for you SIR!!!

Dave Bonde
05-04-2008, 3:48 PM
Rest in Peace Ken. I got to know Ken while the Freedom Pen Project was just getting off the ground. Ken’s passion and support for the project was genuine and his efforts were a key in the projects success. Keith, I think that would be a great way to honor his memory. The world would be a better place if we had more people like Ken, he will be missed.

Dave

Brent Ring
05-04-2008, 6:18 PM
Certainly I want to add my sympathies as well! SMC and many, many others are sadded by Ken's passing!

Dominic Greco
05-04-2008, 6:56 PM
When I read this thread a chill went through me and I said "Ahhhhh....NO! Not Ken!".

I knew Ken from the old Badger Pond days and actually had the pleasure of meeting him at during one of Bill G's BBQs. I found him to be one of the NICEST and most generous people you could ever come across. We spent a good portion of that day swapping stories and generally chewing the fat. I remember that he brought a load of figured walnut with him to that BBQ and he saved a nice BIG hunk just for me.

Afterwards we kept in touch via email. I remember him sending me a very cool congratulations card when my wife and I adopted our daughter. He was also very supportive to me after my father passed away (as only a friend could be).

And I could always expect a email on my birthday from that old rascal! Usually with some kind of humor that could only be referred to as "adult oriented"! He made me laugh so much with his antics! I think I'll miss that about him the most.

He had a wealth of wisdom (not just about wood working) and a very ready wit. He will be sorely missed.

Dominic

Sam Chambers
05-04-2008, 9:23 PM
This is indeed sad news. I had the pleasure of meeting Ken a few years ago at a Freedom Pens Turn-A-Thon at the Rockler store here in Atlanta. Ken was kind (and patient) enough to teach me how to turn pens, which led to lots of quality time with my stepson as I taught him.

Thanks, Ken...and Godspeed.

Doug Edwards
05-05-2008, 2:05 AM
From the Huntsville Times
Sept. 11, 1932 - April 30, 2008
Kenneth L. Salisbury, 75, of Huntsville died Wednesday at his residence. He is survived by his sons, Michael K. Salisbury and John K. Salisbury; daughter, Cindy D. Mullins; grandchildren, Sarah, Emily, Jacob, and Jessica Salisbury, and Jon Michael and Clay Mullins. Arrangements are being handled by Spry Funeral Home of Huntsville, where the family will receive friends from 7 to 9 p.m. today. Funeral services will be at 2:30 p.m. Sunday from the funeral home with the Rev. Steve Wood officiating. Interment will be in Valley View Memorial Gardens. In lieu of flowers, please make a donation to the MCHS Football Fund, 174 Brock Road, Gurley, AL 35748, in memory of Coach Ken Salisbury.

I haven't posted here for quite a while, but I wanted to add my condolences for Ken.

Jon Lanier
05-05-2008, 3:30 AM
Unfortunately I do not know Ken or his work. I went to look for it here at the site and couldn't find anything. Could someone post his profile or link to his work? I would love to see what others are speaking of...

-Jon

Heather Thompson
05-05-2008, 7:13 AM
Heather,

An excellent idea!

May I make a suggestion that I think would please Ken more than anything we could do. I suggest that we take up a collection and send the fund to a school that is active in the Freedom Pens project. The shop teacher could use the funds to purchase more mini lathes, pen kits and supplies that are needed to keep his students active in the program. All donations would be a tax write-off as the Freedom Pens project is a 501C Tax Exempt Organization.

Freedom Pens was one of Ken's favorite projects, he really loved supporting our Troops and put his heart and soul into making it a success. The flip side of this effort would be our Service Members benefiting from receiving pens from American Students, nothing could be more precious to them.

Comments?

Possibly some of our turners who haven't made any pens in a long time might be willing to donate a few pens to the Freedom Pens Project in Ken's name. Ken was a Korean War Combat Veteran and retired Army officer who was very proud of his service to this country.

Kieth,

That sounds like a great idea, I am not a turner but will definitely reach into my purse to make a contrbution. May I suggest that you start a new thread as a sticky with a title like "Fund Raiser in Memory of Our Beloved Ken Salisbury". I have found that most people only read the OP and then submit a reply, to me this is most unfortunate as folks often reiterate information or miss other valuable points that come up in the thread. It would be nice to see a generous response to this idea, this man was a cornerstone here at the Creek, Badger Pond, and from what I read in this thread a Decorated Korean War Combat Veteran.

Heather

Jason Roehl
05-05-2008, 7:50 AM
Unfortunately I do not know Ken or his work. I went to look for it here at the site and couldn't find anything. Could someone post his profile or link to his work? I would love to see what others are speaking of...

-Jon

I don't know how long it will be around, but a very small portion of his work is on his website: www.oldrebelworkshop.com

To the Admins/Mods: Perhaps there could be a tribute page here at SMC that would preserve some or all of Ken's website?

Ken Mutch
05-05-2008, 9:18 AM
May God be with his family during this most stressfull period.
I only knew Ken in a very brief way, but soon came to realise he was a gentleman superb. His moderation, correctness and soothing advice to this list during times of rough seas will always be remembered. May he keep in touch with the craft he so dearly loved.
Ken Mutch

jeremy levine
05-05-2008, 9:37 AM
It seems Ken will the a legacy of a loving family , good friends and fine work.
G_d bless him and his family.

Dan Bussiere
05-05-2008, 10:25 AM
Ken,
We will all miss your wit and humor. Add my prayers for the family.

Aaron Koehl
05-05-2008, 3:55 PM
We are all better for having known Ken Salisbury. I know I am.

Tyler Howell
05-05-2008, 4:13 PM
Thanks Coach!!'

Hal Flynt
05-05-2008, 5:15 PM
May God rest his soul!

Fred Voorhees
05-05-2008, 8:42 PM
I wasn't going to get on the computer tonight due to other things that had to be done and attended to. I am now glad that I did so that I can pass along my heartfelt condolenses to his family and, truthfull, our entire community/family that I feel that SMC is. We have all suffered a great loss with Kens demise.

Bob Marino
05-05-2008, 9:09 PM
What others have said. Truly heartbreaking. Condolences to family.

Bob

Don Orr
05-06-2008, 9:28 AM
Can't say I knew Ken personally, but I sure wish I had. My sympathies to his family. I reckon he's up there swapping stories with another carpenter from way back, you know, the guy who did a lot of good things in his short 33 years.

Rest in Peace Ken,

Russ Sears
05-06-2008, 3:59 PM
Thanks Keith. Bud Light eh? I wonder if Ken would mind if I downed a Stout's American Pale Ale in his honor instead.
Maybe it's my twisted sense of humor but I couldn't help noticing that Ken's being buried by Rev. Wood. Seems appropriate.

Thank you Ken for your service to our country.

Glenn Clabo
05-06-2008, 4:23 PM
Russ,
You would have gotten a kick out of our "conversations" about my attempts at getting Ken to drink real beer...it was pretty funny.

I haven't had a Bud Light for many...many...many...many...years. I bought one out of the ice bucket at the local package store the other day...and sat on the deck and lifted it for Ken.

Noel Hegan
05-08-2008, 6:26 PM
Sad, sad news. Thoughts and wishes for Ken's family and friends.

Mike Weaver
05-09-2008, 8:29 AM
-Mike

Alan Tolchinsky
05-09-2008, 12:10 PM
This board just won't be the same without Ken. I always enjoyed reading his posts. His voice here was from a mature, experienced and reasoned vantage point and that will be missed. He had a great sense of humor and was a gifted writer. Of course my condolences to all his family and friends.

Lincoln Myers
05-09-2008, 4:35 PM
So sorry to hear this. I always appreciated what Ken had to say in his posts here at The Creek, and back at The Pond. He will be missed. I didn't know him personally, but it sure looked like he always knew how to have fun in his shop and with his family and friends. A great guy.

-Linc

Scott Coffelt
05-09-2008, 6:20 PM
I just saw this, wow, I am at a loss. He was quite a fighter. He'll be missed deeply at SMC.

Floyd Cox
05-10-2008, 9:27 PM

Shiraz Balolia
05-10-2008, 9:46 PM
Very sad news, indeed. May his soul rest in peace.
He was a good man and a very fair moderator. He will be missed by many.

Al Willits
05-11-2008, 8:43 AM
Don't think there's enough good people in this world, and I think we lost one of them, always seemed like the kinda guy you'd want for a neighbor/friend.

God speed Ken.

Al

Roger Bell
05-11-2008, 10:50 AM
Have been away from the Forum for a bit. Just saw this.

My condolences.

curtis rosche
05-11-2008, 8:28 PM
make a thread that has all of his work on it. in memory, and for those of us who didnt know him

Butch Edwards
05-12-2008, 10:21 AM
As Keith alluded to, Ken was a veteran of combat in Korea. Few know and he didn't say much about it, but he was the recipient of a Siver Star awarded for valor while he was a young enlisted man.

R.I.P. Honorable Warrior

Bob Swenson
05-13-2008, 9:39 AM
Bless you Ken, rest in peace.

Brent Smith
05-13-2008, 9:52 AM
I'm very sorry to hear of Ken's passing. I never met him in person, but did correspond via PM with him a number of times. As far as I'm concerned, he set the standard for forum moderation!

My condolences to his family.

Kelly C. Hanna
05-13-2008, 5:19 PM
I am extremely sad to hear this. Ken you will be sorely missed. Our sincere condolences go out to the family.

Carl Eyman
05-13-2008, 5:34 PM
We'll miss him as we know you will, but we've both been lucky to know him.

Chris Alexander
05-15-2008, 11:46 PM
My sympathies to Ken and his family for their loss, never met him but understand by the multiple quotes that he will be dearly missed. May he be in a better place and away from suffering. God bless. Chris Alexander Custom Millworks.

Terry Hatfield
05-28-2008, 7:10 AM
I just heard the news. Ken was a good friend and a great man. When I think of Ken I think of him standing in my shop at the lathe patiently teaching my daughter to turn. I think of him patiently teaching everyone that wanted to learn anything about wood working. He was a great man. One that will be sorely missed by everyone that he touched. His gruff exterior was only a mask for a truly loving and kind man that only a few ever saw. I remember thinking when the Pond closed and Keith started this place that having Ken as a moderator was like the fox guarding the chickens but there was no one better to keep us in line than Ken.

It was a pleasure to know him. He was a man of great integrity and passion. I will miss him very much. I will never stand at the lathe without thinking of him. Rest in peace Grandpa. Rest in peace.

Terry

Greg Narozniak
05-28-2008, 8:02 AM
My sympathies to the Salisbury Family. My prayers go out to you all.

Jack Diemer
05-29-2008, 12:52 AM
My 1st pen turned was under the supervision of Ken, my guess is that he is looking down on all of us drinking a Bud Light as we speak.

Richard Gillespie
06-04-2008, 8:47 AM
For the past year I've become an infrequent visitor to the creek. For a number of reasons I had lost interest in much of the woodworking I did. I am now getting back into it.

I met Keith, Ken and several other regulars at the creek get together at Keith's house years ago. I had spoke to Ken a number of times and been admonished once or twice by him. Watching him do the pen turning demo at the get together gave me the incentive to try my hand at it.

Ken, may the clouds rise up to meet your feet. I hope the reward is everything you wished for. I am however saddened by your loss to us.

Rich Torino
06-05-2008, 10:04 AM
My condolences to Ken's family.... I am saddened by their loss

Glenn Clabo
06-06-2008, 8:24 AM
I thought of Coach when I saw this...

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?&brand=null&videoId=3380875&n8pe6c=2