PDA

View Full Version : mortise chisel problem

Michael Hammers
05-02-2008, 10:00 AM
Last night I was using my Ray Iles mortise chisel and broke a significant piece off the top of the handle.
Does anyone know if you can send one back for a new handle (without it having to jump across the pond) due to the unusual shape? I am not sure about making one of that style.
Thanks!

Mark Drayton
05-02-2008, 10:58 AM
Suggest you drop Ray an email for his advice. He offers a very personal service. Address: ray@oldtools.idps.co.uk

Mark

Michael Hammers
05-02-2008, 11:33 AM
Wow,
Just spoke to Jocko at TFWW and explained what happened...he is sending a new chisel out TODAY! Woo-Hoo!
He said it was defective and a call tag would be sent along for the bad tool.
Now that is great customer service, I would not have expected them to do that.

Chris Padilla
05-02-2008, 11:59 AM
Always give the merchant who sold you the tool a chance to do something--it is only fair and sometimes, you'll get a very positive response! Great news and a great boon to TFWW!

Didya take any pics of the mishap? You know, "no pics, didn't happen" ;) haha :D

Mike Henderson
05-02-2008, 12:09 PM
To be fair, handles on those types of mortise chisels are not hooped and will break (eventually). When they do, you just have to make a replacement handle which is not hard. Once you take it apart it'll be obvious to you how to make the new handle. (to take it apart, hold the chisel by the metal part and tap fairly hard on the bench, like you were using it as a hammer. Rotate it so you tap on all four sides.)

I make them big and then shape them to size on a disk sander.

But I am glad to hear that TFWW jumped in and made it right.

Mike

Michael Hammers
05-02-2008, 1:01 PM
Chris,
I did in fact take pics..I am still having fits trying to upload pics from my new iMac...went from PC to Mac and am still under the learning curve....

I was hesitant to contact TFWW because in part I felt it was my fault. I think it was a slight glancing blow that just caught it right, err or wrong...I mean :rolleyes: However Jocko said it should not have done that.

Mike, I did think about making the handle but I am glad TFWW is doing this, time is already so tight on projects I was not looking forward to a side track. I have a Barr chisel that is worn down to the hoop that is in line first for a new handle anyway..

By the way, on a side note..I did not want to make another new post...does anyone know where to find a traditional drawbore pin tool? I do not want the type made from a round drift pin.

Thanks!

Joel Moskowitz
05-02-2008, 7:21 PM
I didn't see this thread until just now - glad jocko took care of it. The handle was defective - grain running out. As long as you use a wooden mallet, beech is best, anthing softer than the handle - the handle should be largly indistructible. If it ain't it's defective.

Alex Yeilding
05-02-2008, 7:39 PM
By the way, on a side note..I did not want to make another new post...does anyone know where to find a traditional drawbore pin tool? I do not want the type made from a round drift pin.
Like these?
http://www.bluesprucetoolworks.com/tools/images/drawborepins2.jpg

Or are they made from a drift pin? I don't know. Could contact Blue Spruce; these are special order. Or contact our own Dave Anderson -- I don't know if he'd be interested in making them, but might be able to point you somewhere if he is not.

Mike Henderson
05-02-2008, 7:59 PM
Alex - what's the wood in those handles? Looks nice.

Mike

Alex Yeilding
05-03-2008, 8:51 AM
Alex - what's the wood in those handles? Looks nice.

I don't know. I agree they are nice looking. Couldn't find it on a quick check, although I thought he had a page about woods available. But this might have been a special order with customer-supplied wood. I'm sure an email to bluespruce would yield an answer. Here's the page from which I pulled the photo:
http://www.bluesprucetoolworks.com/tools/custom_tools.htm

Wiley Horne
05-03-2008, 12:21 PM
Looks like tulip wood, which is a Dalbergia species.

Wiley.....just speculating

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-03-2008, 2:15 PM
Wow,
Just spoke to Jocko at TFWW and explained what happened...he is sending a new chisel out TODAY! Woo-Hoo!
He said it was defective and a call tag would be sent along for the bad tool.
Now that is great customer service, I would not have expected them to do that.

Good people deserve more business.
I like those folks at TFWW.
I also like White Chapel.