PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Make Beis-Type Fence Faces?

Derek Arita
03-08-2003, 9:16 PM
I've got an HTC Multifence and I'm not too happy with the faces. I may have posted here before that they dimple in where brackets attach the backside of the face to the main tube...it's a slide-on pressure fit.
I'd like to try and make some replacement faces. I'm guessing that I should use a high grad ply, but I don't know what width. I'm also figuring that I should glue on a nice slick surface.
If anyone knows how to do this or has done it before, any help you can give me would be huge. Thanks.

Ted Shrader
03-09-2003, 4:30 PM
Originally posted by Derek Arita
I've got an HTC Multifence and I'm not too happy with the faces. I may have posted here before that they dimple in where brackets attach the backside of the face to the main tube...it's a slide-on pressure fit.
I'd like to try and make some replacement faces. I'm guessing that I should use a high grad ply, but I don't know what width. I'm also figuring that I should glue on a nice slick surface.
If anyone knows how to do this or has done it before, any help you can give me would be huge. Thanks.

Derek -

I built a fence system for an older contractor saw I had. I used the same basic style rectangular steel tube as the base for the fence.

I made an "H" from MDF. I faced the sides with laminate. Was nice and straight. Waxed up, it was very slick.

One vertical side of the fence was about 4" high, the other about 8" high. The cross (horizontal) piece was wide enough to give a friction fit as the assembly slid down over the fence tube. I drilled and tapped two holes in the top of the fence tube and used two plastic knob screws w/ washers to hold it down.

The beauty of the design was I could take out the hold downs, reverse the fence and have a high fence w/o any clamping.

Good luck,
Ted

Jim Rahbe
03-09-2003, 8:44 PM
Derek,

Can you use your jointer to flatten them? If you are going to replace them anyway, it might be worth a try.

If it works, let me know, and I'll try it on mine. So far mine are not bad enough to screw with...

Derek Arita
03-09-2003, 9:07 PM
Jim,
That would be great if I could run the face thru while still connected to the fence, but that wouldn't work...I don't think.