PDA

View Full Version : Shop Vac DC???

Matt Hutchinson
05-02-2008, 7:52 AM
Every time I go to cut something on my new-to-me bandsaw I wish I had some dust collection. I know HF and Grizzly have some decent and cheap DC units. Is it even worth considering a shop vac? Thanks.

Hutch

Jerry Pittman
05-02-2008, 8:08 AM
Matt,
In my experience, there isn't a good way to make a bandsaw 'clean'. I have two 4" collection points from my Delta DC on mine and there is still a lot of sawdust that doesn't get collected. I have the usual 4" port on the lower wheel housing, as well as a handmade collection point under the table at the lower guide area. That area is pretty well collected but there is still a lot of sawdust that gets out around the wheel housings, above the table, etc.
I will be interested to see others responses to your thread and learn other approaches to this problem.
Good luck,
Jerry

Hilel Salomon
05-02-2008, 8:29 AM
Too expensive for just a bandsaw, but I have a JDC unit that I attach w/flexible hose to my jointer, planer, drum sander, bandsaw, and dust collector on the lathe and sometimes on the radial arm saw. It won't keep the bandsaw absolutely clean but it does enough to make cleaning it up a lot easier. Hooked up to a standing metal hood on the lathe, it makes sanding much, much, much easier on the shop.
Good Luck, Hilel.

Jim Becker
05-02-2008, 9:13 AM
One of the small units dedicated to the BS will be very helpful as a chip collector and do a better job than a shop vac if the machine has a 4" port. If you have one of the BS that has the small collection port, a shop vac will likely do a better job unless you modify the machine.

Bernie Weishapl
05-02-2008, 9:41 AM
I have the Harbour Freight unit on my bandsaw and as Hilel said it keeps it clean enough.

robert hainstock
05-02-2008, 10:13 AM
I recently added a vac port to my 14" BS and I can promise you that it wiil collect more dust than none. BUT that's about all. :eek::)
Bob

Paul Heely
05-02-2008, 10:26 AM
The shop vac will work well to clean up after the fact. :)

On my BS I have a 5" connection that I put in the door over the lower wheel. It does a good job by itself. As soon as I get around to it I'm also going to run a 3" adjustable pickup to the table. I think that should get the rest of it.

--
Paul

Reed Gray
05-02-2008, 11:20 AM
There is a big difference between a dust collector and a vacuum cleaner. In noise levels, and in volume of air moved. More air moving means more dust collection. Some day I will modify my dust ports on my bandsaws. This is probably the weakest part of their design. I am thinking a floor type vent in the bottom of the doors.
robo hippy

Matt Hutchinson
05-02-2008, 1:45 PM
I figured a vaccum probably wasn't worth the trouble. I have a 20 year old Delta bandsaw. I would have to cut a dustport in the lower wheel cover, and I would have to seal up around the lower cover. There would be too much loss of pressure otherwise....I think. Whatever the case may be, bandsaw dust annoys me. So I suppose I will buy a DC unit, because I can use it for sanding at the lathe, and eventually other equipment.

Grizzly or HF? I would like something that would be usable for a tablesaw, jointer, and planer (future purchases).

Hutch

David Wilhelm
05-02-2008, 6:06 PM
Hutch there are plenty of used and better for a little more money DCs out there if you look around that may give you more bang for your buck???

here is a DC i found that had good reviews from a few people

http://www.sunhillmachinery.com/Dust%20Collector%20UFO101.htm

glenn bradley
05-02-2008, 6:21 PM
I figured a vaccum probably wasn't worth the trouble. I have a 20 year old Delta bandsaw. I would have to cut a dustport in the lower wheel cover, and I would have to seal up around the lower cover. There would be too much loss of pressure otherwise....I think. Not necessarily. You are after "air flow" not "suction". that being said; I covered the lower 4" port on my 17" bandsaw and draw only from the upper with a small 1HP Delta DC. the lower housing stays very clean. Above and just below the table is another issue.

I have seen some great shop made dust catchers for the 'just below the table' area but, I change blades often enough that I think this would be a pain. Maybe I should try it and see. The point is, I don't think you need to cut a lower hole until you try it out for awhile.

Bill Dunn jr
05-02-2008, 6:32 PM
Matt,

I just picked up a Delta 1HP collector today for $189 and change at my local Woodcraft. If there's one near you it's worth a look.

Bernie Weishapl
05-02-2008, 7:12 PM
HF is $199. 2hp 1600 cfm. I put a Wynn Filter on it which is a 35A for $95 as recommended by Bill Pentz.

Richard Madison
05-03-2008, 12:48 AM
Glenn made an important point! It is velocity and flow rate that moves material, not the amount of vacuum a unit would pull on a closed system. With suitable fittings and seals a 1/4 hp. vacuum pump would pick up a pickup (truck), but would be a poor dust collector.