PDA

View Full Version : Router table top

Dick Scott
05-01-2008, 11:57 PM
I been reading lots and lots of articles on building router tables. Most say to use MDF laminated on both sides for the top. I was thinking of using a 3/4 thick piece of Corian type material for my top. It's perfectly flat and smooth and I can cut it to size on my table saw. Any thoughts on this?

Dave MacArthur
05-02-2008, 4:24 AM
Good idea, will work nice...

John Zilinskas
05-02-2008, 4:32 PM
http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/mm147/ukhorsey/?action=view&current=DSCN0213.jpgI started using a double 1.5 inch total MDF many years ago, and after a short while it did not last. Do not use MDF alone. I am not sure about Corian.
The weight of the router over time will sag the top, guaranteed if you use a 2hp or greater.. Even if its 1/16 or even 1/32 of an inch. thats too much. It must be perfect

Here is what I did and it works great.
Make your 1.5 MDF top, but then get a piece of 1/4 inch aluminum plate and cut it to fit the top with a carbide blade. I separated it into 2 pieces and put a mitre channel in.

Now comes the best part. You set the aluminum plate on top of the MDF, install some countersunk machine screws in each quadrant through plate and mdf, and if needed, you can use shim material anywhere in the plate area underneath to make it perfectly flat wherever needed. At first you might not need any, but I guarantee as time goes on you will. Countersink machine screws in the top and bolt underneath to the MDF.
Put in threaded holes for fences and other accessories. Better than threaded inserts in MDF or Corian. I use a Freud fence on it. I do have angle iron under it for extra strength also, but able to shim it is its strong point. I have used this table for 15 years now and would build it again as it has proven itself.

My top is 3 feet by 2 feet. Try keeping MDF or Corian true that size.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm147/ukhorsey/DSCN0213.jpg

http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/mm147/ukhorsey/?action=view&current=DSCN0213.jpg

Greg Hines, MD
05-02-2008, 7:17 PM
I been reading lots and lots of articles on building router tables. Most say to use MDF laminated on both sides for the top. I was thinking of using a 3/4 thick piece of Corian type material for my top. It's perfectly flat and smooth and I can cut it to size on my table saw. Any thoughts on this?

I would think that Corian would be plenty strong. If you have any doubts about it, you could always laminate it to plywood or create a frame under the router plate. I would think that most people would use it if it were not so expensive. Do you have a source of inexpensive Corian?

Doc

Jim Becker
05-02-2008, 7:58 PM
Yes, you can use the Corian as long as you properly support it to avoid sag over time from the weight of the router, etc.

John Zilinskas
05-02-2008, 8:18 PM
Yes, you can use the Corian as long as you properly support it to avoid sag over time from the weight of the router, etc.

Supporting it does not work well. I tried to support my MDF with angle iron at first, but that was a pain as you cannot get a true surface, and you will keep having to try to adjust the supports over the years from underneath with shims, which is impossible over the total area. The Al plate idea I posted earlier (edited it slightly) works perfectly and its like having a metal tabletop. I made mine 3 feet by 2 feet.