PDA

View Full Version : ok how silly was this?

Paul Marsh
05-01-2008, 11:51 PM
Has anyone installed a set of 101" rails on a 5 year old craftsman 10" saw?
I found these HUGE rails and fence locally from a powermatic saw and could not stop myself from buying them.Wondering if I have bitten off way more than I can chew. Any suggestions on installing?
Thanks,
Paul
Also, anyone have a clue what the rails and fence might be worth ? its a beisemeyer (sp?) fence made for powermatic (at least thats what its says )

Steven Hardy
05-02-2008, 12:45 AM
Hey , I got you beat! I have 106's on mine. I bought and restored a Unisaw that came with 'em. I was going to cut them ,but I didnt have the heart!
Extension table on the right side and glue up area on the left. As a safety bonus ...it prevents me from ever following the wood past the blade with anything other than a push stick.:D
(I may eventually put a Rockwell /Delta shaper there.)

Josiah Bartlett
05-02-2008, 2:26 AM
I like rails that give space on either side of the blade. Mount them so you have 50" on the right side and whatever is left over on the left. I have a 7' fence on my Unisaw with plenty of room on the left side of the blade for cutting bevels and such.

Make sure your base is up to supporting the long rails, it would be unfortunate to tip your saw while cutting something large.

Ben Cadotte
05-02-2008, 9:14 AM
I have something similar. I have a 36" extension table to the right of the saw and 18" left of the saw. So my 10" craftsman saw is well over 100" wide with the fence rails. For the fence I combined a 12/24 fence with the 24/24 fence that came with the saw. So the fence covers from one side to the other. I think its about 104" wide total. Luckily the shop at my new to us house allows the wide saw. Last shop was just too cramped to have done this.

David G Baker
05-02-2008, 9:25 AM
Paul,
No photo, they don't exist.

matt dumney
05-04-2008, 12:47 AM
are these systems available or are they old iron?

Josiah Bartlett
05-04-2008, 1:15 AM
http://www.grizzly.com/products/The-Classic-Fence-w-7-Rails-Legs/G9220

You can mount this fence any way you like by drilling new holes in the angle iron. You stick the scale on once you install everything, and you can buy extra scales and pointers for it. Its a pretty good deal at $275, and the HDPE sides on the fence are really nice. Its a Biesmeyer clone.

Paul Marsh
05-06-2008, 12:26 AM
Just in case someone didn't believe me :)