PDA

View Full Version : Chimney Cupboard Project DONE!!!

joseph j shields
05-01-2008, 10:51 PM
Here is my latest project... my annual auction items for my son's school & one for my church. (Yes I build 2 of these beasts:))

Here are the details:

Case is solid walnut... all from the same log! The boards were 16"-20" wide!! (Except for the crown... its walnut, but not from the same log)
The doors are maple veneer (from one sheet... 14"x90"!) notice how the streak carries from the lower door to the upper door) I got the veneer from B&B--Very nice people to deal with
The back is pine wainscoting (got it from Menards :rolleyes: ... But I think it looks pretty good & it adds some nice lightness & helps to balance the piece)
The cabinet is 7 ft tall x 22" wide & 15" deep.
I used my Domino for the joints.
I usually build the carcass first, then the face frame and then attach the 2 together. However, I tried something new (for me), I built the face frame first, then attached the sides, and then the top/bottom. Seemed to work ok.
I used the Rockler Poly Gel for a finish on the piece - expect for the door panels. For these I used a water-based poly (I didn't want the maple to turn too yellow. I like the creamy white better.The first cabinet auctioned for $2,100 at the high school. The other one will be auctioned off this weekend.

My son also built a couple of really nice sofa tables for the auctions... I post them latter...

Enjoy!!

-jj

Don Abele
05-01-2008, 11:05 PM
jj, walnut and maple is my favorite combination of woods. That piece is beautiful.

Building them...great, Donating them for auction...outstanding, Getting $2100 for the high school - Priceless! Good luck with this weekends auction.

Great craftsmanship for noble causes, it doesn't get any better than that.

Be well,

Doc

Dewey Torres
05-01-2008, 11:51 PM
Nice job. I love the veneer. What is B&B? I would like to check them out. Looking forward to your sons pics!
Dewey

gary Zimmel
05-01-2008, 11:56 PM
Beautiful chimney cupboard... Excellent work Joseph.

I commend you on taking the time to donate not one but two pieces.

The high school must be very happy. Hopefully the church will be even happier this weekend!

Looking forward to seeing pictures of the sofa tables.

Martin Shupe
05-02-2008, 1:18 AM
Beautiful, JJ, just beautiful!

Vince Shriver
05-02-2008, 5:46 AM
Outstanding. Wonderful combination of woods and great design.

Hans Braul
05-02-2008, 6:16 AM
Very beautiful. Nicely made, good balance, and a real eye-catcher. Let us know what it sells for!

Hans

Jim Becker
05-02-2008, 9:08 AM
Outstanding, Joseph!!! I like this in every way.

Brent Ring
05-02-2008, 9:48 AM
We all want plans when we see gorgeous work like that! Congrats all the way around!

Mark Stutz
05-02-2008, 10:15 AM
Beautiful job! I'm going to have to wait a while to put up pictures of my chimney cupboard, so I won't have to compare it to this beautiful piece!

Mark

John Thompson
05-02-2008, 12:17 PM
Very.. very.. nice piece and well done, JJ...

Sarge..

Jim W. White
05-02-2008, 12:28 PM
That looks wonderful!!!

Can't wait to show my wife this one... I've been trying to talk her into the same peice with the same wood scheme but she was having a hard time visualizing it ...a little more formal than the standard country cupboard.

Great work! ..thanks for posting it.

Jim in Idaho

joseph j shields
05-02-2008, 12:38 PM
Nice job. I love the veneer. What is B&B? I would like to check them out. Looking forward to your sons pics!
Dewey

Dewey,

B&B is in your area!!!! Littleton, CO.

Here is their link...

http://www.wood-veneers.com/index1.htm

Great service & very nice people!!!

-jj

mreza Salav
05-02-2008, 3:45 PM
Looks great!! One of these has for long been on my order list. Will keep this in mind once I get to building. Thanks for sharing it.

Roy Wall
05-02-2008, 5:20 PM
Awesome Joseph!!.........Awesome!