PDA

View Full Version : variable speed?

steve denison
05-01-2008, 10:31 PM
I got another idea the other day, and I was wondering is anybody here has tried it. I have an old Delta Rockwell lathe that is running a 1/2 HP 1725 motor through a jack shaft and gets as low as 375 RPM.

It occured to me the other day that treadmills use 1 to 2 HP variable speed DC motors and come with speed controlers. I have somebody willing to give me their old treadmill and I think I am going to take it, and take the motor and speed controler out to try to use it for my lathe.

Has anybody else tried this? any luck?

Jim Becker
05-02-2008, 9:15 AM
I have seen treadmill motors used to power a mini, so it would likely work fine for your purposes if you can get it mounted.

robert hainstock
05-02-2008, 10:23 AM
Mounting the thing will be the major hurdle. Good luck! :)
Bob

Paul Engle
05-02-2008, 10:44 AM
Excellent idea, the mount tho will be critical unless you can relay thru the jack shaft , then should be easy enuf to belt it.

Jason Christenson
02-16-2009, 5:07 PM
I got another idea the other day, and I was wondering is anybody here has tried it. I have an old Delta Rockwell lathe that is running a 1/2 HP 1725 motor through a jack shaft and gets as low as 375 RPM.

It occured to me the other day that treadmills use 1 to 2 HP variable speed DC motors and come with speed controlers. I have somebody willing to give me their old treadmill and I think I am going to take it, and take the motor and speed controler out to try to use it for my lathe.

Has anybody else tried this? any luck?

I know this is a really old post but I am thinking of doing the same thing and am wondering if you had any luck?

Jason