PDA

View Full Version : Tablesaw arbor spacr for 1" amana dado set

Joe Petersen
05-01-2008, 10:15 PM
I got a great deal today on an Amana 8"d ado set (658040-1) that was buried on a shelf at the pawn shop ($10). What I didn't pay attention to was that it has a 1" hole for the arbor, and my contractor saw has a 5/8" arbor:

Does anyone know of a spacer made just for this purpose?

I can drill washers out to take up this space but was thinking I may have a problem with all the chip clearer's and such.

Also, as I never intended to buy a dado blade because of the cost (Internet says this set goes for about $200) and problem of changing blades:

Do the clearer's just go between the outer blades and don't need any kind of spacer or shim to keep from making contact?

Jason Beam
05-02-2008, 12:16 AM
Ack ... if it was me, i'd stick it on ebay and buy one made for your arbor ...

Steven Hardy
05-02-2008, 1:38 AM
Heres a pic of my setup. It is not uncommon for dados to have this setup.
There is a collar that adapts to 5/8 inches that runs from side to side and IS shorter than the 5/16 spacer that sits on the right side against the arbor. Now, for the elementary and practically insulting advise:
Make sure you check it for clearance before turning it on!!!Sorry ,just had to say that!!!:D The spacer fits OVER the collar. (The arbor nut compresses BOTH DADO and spacer,not the collar !)

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg18/mrnecsteve/dado.jpg

Peter Quinn
05-02-2008, 7:02 AM
Yes they make bushings for that exact purpose. Check with a good local saw shop, this is not a problem.

The other option is to sell it to me as I have a RAS with a 1" arbor and have been considering getting a dado for it. Would you take $15? :D:D:D

Seriously, look at these:

http://www.amanatool.com/circular-saw-blades/saw-reducing-bushing-bu_100.html

Enjoy that dado.

Curt Harms
05-02-2008, 8:47 AM
but it looks like a standard stack dado set. It seems you'd need a spacer for each chipper as well as the 2 outside blades. Jason might have the best idea.

Frank Drew
05-02-2008, 9:37 AM
Do the clearer's just go between the outer blades and don't need any kind of spacer or shim to keep from making contact? [/I]

Joe,

Yes, the chippers go between the outer blades, as many chippers as you need for the size cut you want; space them so that the teeth miss each other. Shims aren't necessary but one or more can be used between blades to marginally increase the width of the cut.

Also, on some (all?) dado sets the main (multi-tooth) blades are right and left, to cut straight sides to your dado.

Steven Hardy
05-02-2008, 10:18 AM
Yes they make bushings for that exact purpose. Check with a good local saw shop, this is not a problem.

The other option is to sell it to me as I have a RAS with a 1" arbor and have been considering getting a dado for it. Would you take $15? :D:D:D

Seriously, look at these:

http://www.amanatool.com/circular-saw-blades/saw-reducing-bushing-bu_100.html

Enjoy that dado.

Oh a stacked dado set....i agree with jason....

Peter Quinn
05-02-2008, 9:42 PM
Regarding the bushing question I agree with....Peter Quinn! At around $4 a piece, and being made by the same company that makes the dado, and being milled precisely for this purpose, its hardly a risky proposition. They have serations which hold them in place so you install them or have them installed once, then forget they are there.

So for around $42 you have a functional dado stack that sells for over $200, plus you'll have to get some 5/8" shims, so maybe add another $10? That's a beautiful dado stack for $50 assuming its in good condition.

http://ctsaw.com/store/html-amana/at_bu_100.php

If you put them on ebay let me know so I can bid!

Joe Petersen
05-02-2008, 11:57 PM
Thanks guys for the links.
I'm ashamed to say upon further inspection, these serrated edge spacers are already in place on both blades and all chippers. I just came in the house and ran the serial number without confirming first.

I made my quarterly trip to HorribleFreight today and saw these in a set of 6 different styles and would have spent $20 to get a full set if I hadn't looked before work this morning.

I killed two birds with one stone on the trip because I picked up my first homebrew beer kit a block around the corner. Wish me luck.