PDA

View Full Version : Bonding with my Son

Malcolm Tibbetts
05-01-2008, 4:05 PM
I'm a regular vistor to the "Turnng" forum here and I noticed this forum. I thought you guys would enjoy seeing this boat-building effort from about 18 years ago. My son made a "bet" with me regarding his last eighth grade report card. If he got all "A's", could we build a boat? Well, as you can see, he won. It's about 14' long from some plans that I purchased out of a magazine. We made many modification. Notice the "dovetail" paint job; we named it the "Flying Dovetail".

Dave Ray
05-01-2008, 8:47 PM
Flying Dovetail looks great and must have been the source of a lot of fun. Both building and running. Is the boat still around? Brings back good memories for me

John Timberlake
05-01-2008, 9:28 PM
That is terrific. Both the boat and the fact that you built it together. Are you still using it?

Jim Creech
05-01-2008, 9:29 PM
I'm certain that was a bet you did not mind losing!

Mark Paulley
05-02-2008, 5:37 PM
Malcolm,
Your an awesome segmented turner and now you are showing you are a boat builder too!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seez louise what is next?????????????
I guess you JUST live next to any old lake too!
Mark

Lawrence Smith
05-02-2008, 7:46 PM
That is just great and what a way to bond with your son. Those kind of bonds last forever. Thanks for sharing a great moment in your life.

John Shuk
05-05-2008, 8:44 AM
Malcolm,
that is pretty much just a big seggy piece isn't it?;)
It is a very nice boat. I've been introducing my son to woodworking of late and it has really been fun. He is just about 7 now and we are having a blast. It is also just what he needs to keep him on track sometimes.

vincent nobel
05-18-2008, 12:04 PM
the dovetails are the best. Wonderful boat. You're giving me ideas.
cheers,
Vincent