PDA

View Full Version : I want to start turning pens....

Chris Yarish
05-01-2008, 3:46 PM
.....but I don't know what I need to buy for mandrels and other accessories.

I have been through the Lee Valley online catalogue but don't know what it is that I'll need.
I don't want to sound lazy, but is someone able to pass on to me some of the Lee Valley item numbers of pen turning necessities?

Here is the link to the place on the site when I did an item search for "pens".
http://www.leevalley.com/home/Search.aspx?c=1&action=n

Thanks

Philip Duffy
05-01-2008, 4:26 PM
When you first start turning pens you must develop a system for keeping the bushing sets identified with a certain model of pen. and you must develop a discipline for the sanding/polishing process. My advise is to start with one model, turn a whole bunch of them and see how you compare to more experienced turners. Only after you have satisfied yourself and a few customers, as well as your fellow turners, can you expand your inventory to different models. - - but then, what do I know, I have only turned a few dozen and lost a few bushing sets!!! Good luck! Philip

Bernie Weishapl
05-01-2008, 6:06 PM
Chris do you have their catalog??

Doug Jones from Oregon
05-01-2008, 6:19 PM
Chris....just buy at least 1 each of everything you see that relates to turning pens...you'll wind up with it sooner or later anyways.

Really, I would suggest you find a less expensive pen style that you like and purchase a few along with some cheap blanks....being ready to just chuck em when done cuz you are learning....then you can start with the more expensive kits, better blanks and accepting the wow's.

Most shops selling pen parts have books, dvd's...places like Woodcraft, Berea to name just a couple.

And of course, here there is much info.

Don Carter
05-01-2008, 6:35 PM
Chris, I am new to this forum, ( I have been lurking for about a month) but I have been turning pens for several years as well as other woodworking hobbies. I purchased a video, yes, it was so long ago it was a VHS tape on beginning pen turning. It was a great help to me. Look around for some video help for beginners or if you know someone who turns pens, ask to visit to see how it is done. When I began, I did not know anyone who was doing it in my small town. Take a deep breath and jump in. It is a fun and a satisfying hobby.

Bobby Perry
05-01-2008, 6:38 PM
To start out with I would skip Lee Valley and go to http://www.pennstateind.com/ and get the stuff from them. Its cheaper. You will need pen kits I suggest slimlines because of the price. You will need a set of bushings for slimline pens, a 7mm drill bit, some kind of glue to glue the tubes to the blanks(CA, Epoxy, or gorilla glue) and a mandrel. There are several different kind of mandrels. I have the #2 MT mandrel cause that is what my lathe takes. Penn State also has a DVD that explains how to turn pens. I got mine for free. They may still have them for free. They do http://www.pennstateind.com/store/dvd.html That should get you started.

John Grabowski
05-01-2008, 7:27 PM
there are a lot of great videos on youtube about penturning. I think the pen state video is even up there. I suggest starting with the cigar and watching the youtube video on using the CA/BLO finish!!

It is very good.

John G

robert hainstock
05-01-2008, 7:53 PM
Cris,
The advice to go to PSI is s very good. Thier catalog will walk you through the startup items needed. I highly reccomend the pen turners startup kit. Thier penkits run approximately half of the lee vlley prices for the same items. Then once you get your feet wet, you shold go yo woodturningz.com; they sell every thing in the PSI catalog at a serioous discount. HAPPY CHIPS! :):)
Bob

Mack Cameron
05-02-2008, 2:51 PM
.....but I don't know what I need to buy for mandrels and other accessories.

I have been through the Lee Valley online catalogue but don't know what it is that I'll need.
I don't want to sound lazy, but is someone able to pass on to me some of the Lee Valley item numbers of pen turning necessities?

Here is the link to the place on the site when I did an item search for "pens".
http://www.leevalley.com/home/Search.aspx?c=1&action=n

ThanksHi Chris; Lot's of good suggestions here. I'd help you out with your first LV order, but there are some better Canadian sources for pen stuff than LV.

These people specialize in pens and are in Cambridge ON. Do a search for "William Wood-Write". Call Bill and discuss your needs/questions with him. If they are good enough for Jim Shaver, they are more than good enough for you and me.

Here's another search for you; "penscanada". It's located in Nanaimo, BC.

Ordering from PSI can be done through Woodchuckers in Toronto. John will treat you right. Berea has a minimum order of $75.00 from Canada.

If you order from any US company, remember to specify United States Postal Service shipping only or the Couriers will gouge your eyes out for brokerage fees.

Now If you still want to order from LV, pm me and I will tell you what my first order consisted of.

These are my first 4 pen turnings from LV. It seems to me they were called "Large Half Twists".

Steven DeMars
05-02-2008, 3:11 PM
To start out with I would skip Lee Valley and go to http://www.pennstateind.com/ and get the stuff from them. Its cheaper. You will need pen kits I suggest slimlines because of the price. You will need a set of bushings for slimline pens, a 7mm drill bit, some kind of glue to glue the tubes to the blanks(CA, Epoxy, or gorilla glue) and a mandrel. There are several different kind of mandrels. I have the #2 MT mandrel cause that is what my lathe takes. Penn State also has a DVD that explains how to turn pens. I got mine for free. They may still have them for free. They do http://www.pennstateind.com/store/dvd.html That should get you started.

Just ordered mine, it is still available . . .I love one stop shopping . . .My experience with Pennstate has been excellent . . . . nice people . . .

Steve Busey
05-02-2008, 3:35 PM
Chris, Craft Supplies USA has a starter kit with mandrel, bit, bushings, 5 pen set, 12 blanks, CA glue and a finish. Kind of a one stop shop. I've been happy with the set I bought there, but have only done a couple of pens so far.

Mack Cameron
05-02-2008, 3:38 PM
Chris, Craft Supplies USA has a starter kit with mandrel, bit, bushings, 5 pen set, 12 blanks, CA glue and a finish. Kind of a one stop shop. I've been happy with the set I bought there, but have only done a couple of pens so far.Hi Chris; that's the other place Jim Shaver recommends. Just remember USPS only!

Chris Yarish
05-02-2008, 5:08 PM
Hi Chris; that's the other place Jim Shaver recommends. Just remember USPS only!

From the website re: beginner pen turning kit:
UPS Ground shipping only. Air/US mail not available.

Mack Cameron
05-03-2008, 7:10 AM
From the website re: beginner pen turning kit:
UPS Ground shipping only. Air/US mail not available.Hi Chris; I ordered from them on Thurs. and specified USPS only. No problem from their point of view!

That may be for the kit only!, not for other supplies. Seems strange though.

Stay in Canada for now. William Wood-Write, you won't be sorry. Also check out "Pen Turners Paradise", some great info, and pen turning ideas.

Paul Douglass
05-03-2008, 8:47 AM
Chris, I started here. More info than you can absorb. Takes a little stuff to start out, and this is the place to learn so you don't waste money and time.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/portal.asp

If I can't post a link search International Association of Penturners

Frank Kobilsek
05-03-2008, 9:50 AM
Chris

My little pen turner tip: As you begin to buy drill bits, bushings, kits etc, Keep all the stuff for one style pens in ONE giant zip lock bag. In my shop you'll find a big plastic tub with several giant bags each labeled with the style of pen. For example there is a Baron Rollerball bag, a Father Sing bag, a Cigar pen bag and a keyring toothpick holder bag. Inside each bag are kits, drilled/tubed/milled blanks, a smaller bag with bushings and instructions, a bag with drill bits for that pen and yet another bag with failures that I can steal parts from. Unfortunately in the bottom of the tub are a few loose bushings, drilled blanks, etc that I don't know what they are for. A little organization right from the begining will save you money and frustration as you start turning pens.

The silly part about turning pens is that you will quickly begin to gift and sell them to friends and family. Then about 2 years later, when your skills are 3000% improved, you will see a friend carrying one of your early pens and you'll want to trade him a new one because now you think the old one is not good enough. Your freind will not give you back that pen!

Frank