PDA

View Full Version : Hot of the lathe

Geoff Hanha
05-01-2008, 1:38 PM
Well as you can see there straight of the lathe, still need some buffing and then some good pics made of them, size is 12cm x 14cm the neck and small ring under the body and in the base are Hormbeam, pewter ring and purple heart finial dangle in base, base is spaltered marble beach, and the main body is of Imbuya with a cast pewter ring with texture. Bit more buffing and polish and ready to go ..Geoff

http://www.shapewood.co.uk

Steve Schlumpf
05-01-2008, 4:30 PM
Geoff - sure can tell you put a lot of thought and effort into this one! Lots of color and some really pretty wood grain patterns. Interesting use of pewter - did you pour the ring yourself? I would be interested in seeing a photo of this once it's all buffed out. Very nice work Geoff!

Bill Wyko
05-01-2008, 5:12 PM
Geoff, that's one fine turning. I like the use of unconventional materials. Way to go.

Geoff Hanha
05-01-2008, 5:31 PM
Geoff - sure can tell you put a lot of thought and effort into this one! Lots of color and some really pretty wood grain patterns. Interesting use of pewter - did you pour the ring yourself? I would be interested in seeing a photo of this once it's all buffed out. Very nice work Geoff!

Thanks for the comments Bill.
Steve yes both top ring and the smaller in the base, turned a mdf mould and cast them then tuned them up, let them in the turned and textured. great fun, looked like i was trimming the christmas tree with tinsle i was covered, funny all the shavings when scrunched up looked hell of a lot more than i started with. But good fun:D Its great to be alive..Geoff

Tom Keen
05-01-2008, 6:00 PM
Very Nice... I dont normally go for metal etc.. but this is really nice.. I think the color of the wood really goes nicely with the pewter..

Thanks!!

Bernie Weishapl
05-01-2008, 6:00 PM
Geoff that is a beauty for sure. Well done.

Nathan Hawkes
05-01-2008, 7:21 PM
WOW! I really like the piece. The textured pewter really sets it off! How did you texture it without hitting the band on top, or is that the secret; putting it on afterwards?? Nice job, BTW.

robert hainstock
05-01-2008, 8:02 PM
That is a #1 piece of craftsmanship. Hornbeam is great wood, and the use and placement of thevarious materials is outstanding. Ten attaboys for tthis one. :D:D:D:D
Bob

Geoff Hanha
05-02-2008, 6:33 AM
WOW! I really like the piece. The textured pewter really sets it off! How did you texture it without hitting the band on top, or is that the secret; putting it on afterwards?? Nice job, BTW.
The texture is done before the neck goes in. Thanks for the comments guys, hoping to get it all buffed up today if i get the time.