PDA

View Full Version : Drum sander drum rotation...?

mreza Salav
05-01-2008, 1:23 PM
Hi,

After reading the forum for some time, it's my first post with a question.
I have been researching for quite some time about building a variable speed power feed thickness drum sander and have collected almost all the materials needed and have started building it. I will post some progress report as I go.

One question I have though is, should the rotation of the drum be against the feed or with the feed? I have seen some commercial ones that the drum rotates with the feed and some that are against the feed (like a planer) but don't know why they are different. Any thoughts is appreciated.

Bruce Page
05-01-2008, 2:47 PM
I'm pretty sure :o that my Woodmaster runs against the feed. I could check it tonight if you want.

Edward Garrett
05-01-2008, 3:09 PM
Yup, my Accura dual drum sander runs against the feed.

Anthony Whitesell
05-01-2008, 3:49 PM
If they run with the feed, what keeps them from shooting the piece across the shop?

mreza Salav
05-01-2008, 4:40 PM
If they run with the feed, what keeps them from shooting the piece across the shop?

Perhaps the friction against the belt. It seems to me that could happen with those that run against the feed as well (especially right at the beginning). But as far as manual says, the Grizzly model G1066R 24" Drum Sander (http://www.grizzly.com/products/24-Drum-Sander/G1066R) (and the G1079R model too) rotate with the feed. See page 7 of manual for G1066R model which is online. I think I can easily change the rotation of motor if needed but would like to know the rational behind it. Intuitively, I think against the feed makes more sense (like a planer).

David DeCristoforo
05-01-2008, 5:01 PM
I can't imagine, for the life of me, what difference it would make. The stock is held between the conveyer belt an the pressure rollers so it would make no real difference which way the drum was spinning. Rotating "against" the feed direction is by far the more common configuration. My Woodmaster has a reversing switch so it could go either way....

Joe Chritz
05-01-2008, 10:19 PM
FWIW, the grizzly 1066 runs with the feed the 1066Z runs against.

I think it effectively makes no difference.

Joe

Alan Schaffter
05-01-2008, 10:58 PM
One or more of the Woodmasters have bidirectional feed.

Tim Lesak
05-01-2008, 11:24 PM
Think routers here guys, if you go one way it cuts real smooth the other way has more tearout. As far as "kickback" I guess thats what you would call it, your sanding not plaining. Just my opinion:cool:

mreza Salav
05-02-2008, 1:00 AM
Thanks everybody for the replies. I guess I go with against the feed and see how it goes.

J.R. Rutter
05-03-2008, 11:58 AM
I've had both types. Dust collection is better rotating the drum against the feed.