PDA

View Full Version : Natural edge bowl question.

curtis rosche
05-01-2008, 11:20 AM
I am starting a natural edge bowl, if you superglue the bark on, will the glue effect the finish?

Glenn Hodges
05-01-2008, 11:35 AM
Try to keep the glue from getting on the wood. If the wood is not very porus and you get CA glue on the wood it will usually sand out. To prevent getting CA glue on the wood put some barrier on the wood such as wax or lacquer on the part of the bowl you do not glue to touch. Sometimes while the bowl is off the lathe I apply glue with the bowl turned upside down so the excess glue will run toward the bark.

Gordon Seto
05-01-2008, 12:24 PM
Usually not a problem. I put CA on to stabilize the bark from chipping out during turning, that is way before the finish cut. The CA won't penetrate that much on solid wood except on cracks. The CA would cut out and sand out except on the bark which won't take finish the same way anyway.

I don't use CA accelerator on the bark, it may leave some crystallized white stain.

curtis rosche
05-02-2008, 7:26 AM
the peice i am turnning is a peice of mullberry. some of the bark is "warped and pulled up off the wood, should i try to save these peices of just pell the lifted peices off? half of the bark looks like it might stay, also, what to do with hairline cracks? there are a couple in this peice, theyre not big enough to try to fill with anything other than maybe super glue.

Glenn Hodges
05-02-2008, 7:51 AM
You can go either way. Get some bark and glue it back on the missing places aroud the edge or sand all the bark off and have a barkless natural edge. You can fill the small cracks with CA glue or make them larger and fill with whatever. As you can see it is your decision. Now you see why I have glued some pieces 4 or more times. Getting bark from the middle of the piece before turning the inside is a good idea so you will have extra bark. Often you can bet bark from another log of the same wood. I have had to glue a lot of bark on some pieces, and it looks pretty good after you sand the piece, good luck.

Bernie Weishapl
05-02-2008, 9:43 AM
Another thing I have did Curtis is if the bark does happen to fly off take a soldering iron and burn the edge. Looks pretty good and have sold several like that.

curtis rosche
05-02-2008, 11:37 AM
the bark has stayed on pretty good so far, i had an idea, if i take the dremel and make 1/8, or 1/4 inch groves that follow the cracks and then fill them in, the question is, doing this, what color should the fill be? the color of the wood right now is that gold yellowish color, but i know that it will probably turn brown eventualy.