PDA

View Full Version : mounting custom mirrors...help

chris fox
05-01-2008, 12:11 AM
I am putting the finishing touches on my master bath and need to mount mirrors to the wall. The mirrors are custom so there are no mounting points. I also want to mount these floating off the wall approx. 1"

My plan is to mount using a french cleat made from hardwood or use aluminum U channel. But not sure of what adhesive or mounting method for the back of the mirror w/o ruining the silver coat. Is silicone adhesive the way to go?
The mirrors are 52 x 27 x 1/4 thick so their pretty heavy.

any ideas?
thanks Chris

Bill Edwards(2)
05-01-2008, 6:47 AM
On a recent "Villa" they were showing mirrors being stuck to the walls with a material that looked like tar but was made for mirrors. It supposedly didn't hurt the coating, etc.

I'm sorry that I didn't pay enoigh attention to tell you what the product was.

Just a quick search netted this:

http://www.epinions.com/pr-Glue_Adhesives-Macco_Mirror_Adhesive_LN-930

Dennis Peacock
05-01-2008, 8:32 AM
I've always used a mirror adhesive that doesn't mar the silver backing. I looks a lot like tan caulking and does come in a caulk tube to be dispensed by a caulk gun. Works really well for sticking mirror glass to wood.

Question: What are you going to do when you need or want to take the mirror down for some type of home maintenance? With the adhesive use, you'll have to break the mirror off the wall...so you may want to take that into consideration as well.

Jim O'Dell
05-01-2008, 9:21 AM
The one time I did a mirror, I used the mirror mastic that looks like tar also. But mine cam in a can, like a quart paint can. For this application, if you use that to adhere your mount to the mirror and that mount is a french cleat to the wall, then you can easily get the mirror off the wall, just not off the mirror mount. Jim.

chris fox
05-01-2008, 11:08 AM
Thanks everyone...I first posted this in general wood working and had a few replies there.
I agree, I will want to remove the mirrors so still want to use a cleat hanging method. I decided to cut up plywood with 4-6" offset to the mirror - so this will give me plenty of surface area for tar (another person suggested liquid nails) then hang the mirror/plywood on a hardwood cleat strap which would be mounted to the wall/studs.

Chris

Ben Grunow
05-04-2008, 9:21 PM
What everyone is talking about is called "mirror mastic" and it comes in a caulking tube. It remains soft so mirrors can be removed but as far as I know has no shear strength so dont use it without a j channel under those mirrors.

Consult a local glass shop. They will know.

chris fox
05-07-2008, 10:40 AM
Currently I have Liquid Nails for Mirrors seeting up on the my 3/4 plywood backing. I cut in a series 45 deg cuts to make a pocket for a hanging on to a hardwood cleat whcih is lag bolted to studs int he wall.

After applying the LN I left to set for 8 hours only to find the backing shifted off mark. I read the tube again and found that it takes up to "48" hours for 60% cure and 7 days for full cure. I am a little nervous since the one mirror shifted after 8 hours, I could only guess that once these are up if they wont hold, it will slide off within a hour or two.

Chris