PDA

View Full Version : Everything Rolling...

Paul Simmel
04-30-2008, 10:11 PM
I've been meaning to show my use of the 1000 lb capacity $20.00 (or so) furniture dollies I get from Menards. These are like clamps in that you can't have enough of them. I use them for everything, and will be picking up a few more this weekend to support a simple sheeting goods rack.

87467 87468 87469 87470 87471

Paul Simmel
04-30-2008, 10:33 PM
Also, please excuse the condition of the shop... it's a little messy. I'd been working on our new house for 19 months straight, and since Jan I've been recovering from surgery. I'm just now starting to get things a little organized.

The dollies have been invaluable throughout the entire process, and for shop use they are da bomb! The casters are super strong, and very heavy things roll very easily. I'm also going to remove the cruddy casters from all of my metal tool cabinets, and stick a dolly under each one. The tall cabinet is surprisingly stable, though I do place heavier things on the bottom shelf.

For $20.00 a pop, 4 casters and hardwood slats... I couldn't resist. I am addicted, now.

Don Abele
04-30-2008, 10:44 PM
Paul, I have four of the same things (got mine from a local place here called Ocean State Job Lots). Think I paid a little less though, can't remember exactly.

I did have a problem with mine though. I was using one to move a "reclaimed" old Jet Tablesaw from my truck to the shop. When the caster hit the lip into the shop, it popped right off (ALL the nuts were missing, well, at least at that point). When I checked the other 15 casters (4 each on 4 dollies), I found that most of the nuts were loose and several were missing.

A couple dollars worth of replacement nuts and some loctite and no more problems.

Be well,

Doc

Harley Reasons
04-30-2008, 10:50 PM
Be careful rolling the dollies across a hardwood floor with a load on them. We moved some heavy bookcases in a friend's home and the caster left a mark on the hardwood. We looked at the casters and they had a small ridge down the center of the wheel. I took a piece of sandpaper and worked on them for a bit and once they were smooth no more marks on the wood. Glad it was his dolly that done it and not mine.
I use mine for moving a variety of things but have not used any for the shop, I sure will keep them in mind for future reference. Great idea, thanks:)

Richard M. Wolfe
04-30-2008, 11:01 PM
I bought one from HF for $15, as I recall. I keep my lunchbox planer on it. I keep the planer under a workbench and when I want to use it reach down and grab the handle (through the plastic bag over the top to keep the dust out) and wheel it out.

Paul Simmel
04-30-2008, 11:09 PM
Don,

Half of these I purchased last spring and summer, and after this winter when the humidity went down I found myself on all fours with a wrench. All were loose, but okay now. They all seem to be loose, even when new, so I tighten the new ones now as a precaution. Mine at least have those lock-nuts on them.

>> Be well

Thank you.