PDA

View Full Version : Milwaukee "bodyGrip" router

Tom Godley
04-30-2008, 9:14 PM
Thanks "all" -- for the input regarding a PC router in my other thread.

I figured that I would do some research on units other than PC -- Bosch and Makita look good with many stating that the Bosh has the edge. Triton interesting - know nothing about them -- not that that is important:)

But the larger 2.25hp milwaukee kit with both bases look like a real nice setup - am I correct that I would just order the optional base for the PC standard hole?

I have never used a 'D' handle - but I do not see that as an option on this unit?

John Thompson
04-30-2008, 10:20 PM
I have the Milwaukee Combo and absolutely love it.. but I can't answer the question if I understand it correctly. I have the Miwuakee 3 1//2 HP under my table and use the combo above as is. I suggest you call Miwaukee tech and see if they can answer the question.

Sarge..

Don Abele
04-30-2008, 10:34 PM
Tom, I searched on Amazon for the Milwaukee 2-1/4 HP router kit with both a fixed and plunge base. I came up with model 5616-24. Hopefully this is the same one your looking at.

If you read the section from the manufacturer, you'll see that for both bases it comes with two different polycarbonate sub-bases, one with a 1-3/16" hole and the other with a 2-1/2" hole. The 1-3/16" hole is the one used for the PC template guides (I double checked by measuring my PC router and the templates). No need to buy anything more, other than the set of guides.

Be well,

Doc

Tom Godley
04-30-2008, 10:50 PM
Don - yes that is the model. thanks for the base info -- did not see that.

It looks like a nice setup -- but I wonder why they do not have a 'd' handle for it.

For $200.00 looks like a good deal.

TAG

John Thompson
04-30-2008, 10:52 PM
I just went down and checked my carrying case after reading Don's post.. shoo-nuff.. he is correct.. I noticed the extra base-plates when I first took them from the case as I keep the routers on a shelf, but didn't pay much attention as I just assumed they were extra's.

Good luck...

Sarge..

Don Abele
04-30-2008, 11:03 PM
Tom, them not having a D-handle for that model is odd. They only have it for the 5619-29 which is the 1-3/4 HP model. Otherwise, I agree, it looks like a nice combo unit for a nice price.

Be well,

Doc

Johnny Kleso
04-30-2008, 11:17 PM
I never used a D handle and think it looks un-comfortable to use and think you would need two hands to use a router anyway..
Are D handles a really good thing? Am I missing out by not having one??

I love the body grip on my 1 3/4hp wondering if I need one..

Thanks

Gary Curtis
04-30-2008, 11:28 PM
One year ago, I bought the Milwaukee 5616 from Amazon. It was recommended by the folks at WoodHaven because (aside from quality) it is one of the few solid base routers that can be adjusted from above the table when mounted in a router table.

I'm not a fan of trying to create a 'multi-purpose Swiss Army Knife' out of every machine in a shop. The clutter gets overwhelming. Little parts here and there, all waiting to get lost. I like using my Milwaukee freehand because of the Ergo Grip. It is easily as comfortable as my newer Festool OF 1400.

I think it is best to get a specific power tool for each application. I was talked out of using my Milwaukee for hand-held work. They said I would go crazy dismounting and remounting it in the table. And they were right, as I soon learned.

Your time and sanity are worth something, you know.

Gary Curtis

scott spencer
04-30-2008, 11:37 PM
All I know is that I miss my BodyGrip router. It was extremely well built and felt great in hand. The MW combo kit would be my first choice if I were looking at kits.

glenn bradley
05-01-2008, 1:08 AM
I've got the 5616-24 combo and other Mil's. I like D-handles but the bodygrip has won me over. I use a 5615 for DT's and edge profiles with an offset base if the Colt won't do the job. I use the 5616 plunge for . . . well, plunging and the fixed base for other hand held stuff. I have kind of a bonus as the 5615 and the 5616 motors fit each other's bases so, mix and match. The 5625 stays in the table and no I don't work for Milwaukee . . . I have other routers too but, the Mil's are a step above IMHO.

Jason Beam
05-01-2008, 1:18 AM
But the larger 2.25hp milwaukee kit with both bases look like a real nice setup - am I correct that I would just order the optional base for the PC standard hole?

Nope - one of the bases has a plate with an enlarged hole and the other has a plate with a PC-standard hole. So you're good with the kit itself.

I have never found a better made router than my two milwaukees (1.75hp and 2.25hp kits). I was elated to discover they had finally come out with a plunge base for it. And i was even happier to find that it works REALLY well, too. This router just screams quality to me - right down to the two monster collet wrenches they give ya.

I wouldn't recommend any other router kit, myself :)

EDIT: Oh, also - the 2.25 router is the same diameter as the 1.75 one ... anything that fits the 1.75hp router will fit the 2.25hp one - so that D-handle base for the 1.75hp model will fit the 2.25 one as well - but try the body grip before you plunk down the coin for the D ... you may not want the D after that :)

Steven Hardy
05-01-2008, 2:05 AM
I just received my 5616-24 ,right before the weekend started...used it with a new Omnigig to make a dovetail box. The router deal is great for 205.00!
First ..I was glad to see on the Box that the motor is still made in the USA. Milwaukee motors have been excellant for many ,many years.
I did a critical looksee through the entire package of case,router motor,normal base,plunge base,wrenches,centering tool,and vacuum attachment, before i fired it up.
Overall , i give it a 4.9 out of 5.0 . I looked hard for any flaws.
The motor is excellant. The soft start and speed control work like a charm. The speed at which one can remove from either base is great.The ability to adjust the bit height under a table or on top of a table is way better than i expected. The router, thru and thru IS heavy duty. The case is HUGE..to the point of being a pain....but has the ability to carry more accessories...so its not a negative.The rubberised cord is flexible and the rubberised handles are easy to grip.Both collettes are huge ,smooth operating and nicely machined inside and out.
Why did I give it a 4.9 instead of a 5.0 ??? Well ,the plunge base has a high gloss,polished, meticulous black finish on the steel parts. The regular base has a normal black finish on the steel parts . The wrenches were the same . I took a little 3 in one oil to the wrenches and the fixed base. I am content now.:o (nitpicky huh???)

Tom Godley
05-01-2008, 12:17 PM
Thanks for all the great help -- thats why I love this place :)

I am going to order it -- hope I can resist ordering something else !!