PDA

View Full Version : Craig's list Texas style

Robert McGowen
04-30-2008, 7:45 PM
free firewood green mesquite, you cut

Date: 2008-04-23, 11:33PM CDT

many full mesquite trees have been cut down, but need to be cut into firewood and hauled off my property. tree trunks are up to 12" in diameter. bring your chain saw and haul off as much as you can cut.

__________________________________________________ ___________

Uhhhhhh......Hmmmmm......Well, Okay..........backed the trailer right up to the wood and started cutting this afternoon. That is an 18" chainsaw for reference. I even found something to do with the smaller pieces this evening! :D Bowls to follow.......

Bill Wyko
04-30-2008, 8:03 PM
NICE SCORE!!!! Robert you may want to tune up your sharpening system. Mesquite is hard as steel but it sure is beautiful. Good job saving it from doom.

Allen Neighbors
04-30-2008, 8:04 PM
Where is it located, Robert? I'm up near the corner of the Panhandle.

Brian Brown
04-30-2008, 8:05 PM
I hate you! :D Well, Actually I don't. I wish something like that would happen to me, but I won't hold my breath. The best I can hope for here is sagebrush, and they are making that a protected species. Apparantly somebody forgot to open their eyes and look around. It is not exactly rare around here. Looking forward to seeing what you make from it. Good luck!

Bernie Weishapl
04-30-2008, 8:27 PM
Congrats on a great haul. Gotta love mesquite.

Scott Hubl
04-30-2008, 8:35 PM
COOL :cool:

curtis rosche
04-30-2008, 8:36 PM
speaking of lots of wood, and burning some.... there was a "rare" (thats what the paper said) copper beech tree over 150 years old, in a cemetery near me. they cut it down because of the rotting on some of it, they thought it would fall, but instead of giving it to a lumber company or something, they chipped most of it, and they sent the really big peices to a greenhouse to use as fire wood:eek::mad::mad:

Judy Kingery
04-30-2008, 8:50 PM
Robert, Mesquite is really great to turn and looks like you've got a lot of great blanks from which to choose! Enjoy! Shavings can always go in the barbie! Jude

Dick Strauss
05-01-2008, 1:59 AM
Wait a minute...I think there is a catch here! Maybe Robert needs some target practice and he knows we'll be moving very slowly trying to carry off that heavy mesquite :eek:. There are better targets out there you know :D;)!

Seriously though, this is really nice of you. Hopefully some local folks can take advantage of your generosity. I wish I lioved closer because I really enjoyed turning the green mesquite with Rich S while I was in Houston.

Take care,
Dick

Tony De Masi
05-01-2008, 7:51 AM
Great score Robert. Jealous in the east.

Tony

p.s. - how is the rehab going?

Glenn Hodges
05-01-2008, 10:21 AM
Yep, that mesquite is hard, but makes some kind of beautiful pieces.

charlie knighton
05-01-2008, 10:53 AM
great gloat, i am envious :D

Richard Madison
05-01-2008, 10:18 PM
PM sent. Have chainsaw, will travel.