PDA

View Full Version : Air dried figured Walnut

Lawrence Smith
04-30-2008, 4:19 PM
One of my near future projects will be making some presentation boxes using figured walnut. Because the walnut will be anything but straight grained it is important that it be as dry as possible. After checking a few sources for this wood it has caused me to have some questions regarding how dry their wood is. I hope my fellow Creekers can help me out.

1. How much time is required to air dry this type of wood? I am talking about pieces approximately two feet long eight inches wide and two inches thick.
2. How do you know when it is completely dry?
3. Will kiln drying speed up the process and is it recommended?
4. What is the proper method to check how dry it is?

I would appreciate any comments from those that are familiar with this subject.
Thanks

Frank Drew
04-30-2008, 4:42 PM
Lawrence,

I think a moisture meter is an essential shop tool; wood for most projects should be in the 6-8% range, depending on local conditions.

At least a year air drying for each inch of thickness (plus a year) is the minimum I'd be comfortable with, again, depending on your locale. Kiln-drying is certainly faster, but often not as good.

Even stuff that's been well air-dried still needs to come into your shop for a month or so to acclimate to an indoors environment, IMO. A lot of unhappiness comes from inadequately dry material.

Mark Schiller
04-30-2008, 7:08 PM
Lawrence,
Daughter & future son-in-law want me to build a buffet out of walnut. Which vendor are you going to use? I'm in the northeast and haven't even started to look for this material.
Thanks,
Mark

John Keeton
04-30-2008, 8:10 PM
Kiln drying walnut will change the color. Some find it preferable, but I tend to prefer the color of airdryed walnut. I agree with Frank on the times, though. Most of my walnut drys for 3 years for 4/4 before I use it, and I do bring it into the shop for a couple of weeks to acclimate.

adam prochaska
04-30-2008, 8:45 PM
I'm air drying some walnut right now. How is the color of air dried walnut different than kiln dried walnut?

Jim Becker
04-30-2008, 8:48 PM
Air dried walnut is wonderful...the best way to have it. In general, 2-3 years for that 2" slab is appropriate, but everything depends upon the conditions that it was dried under including ambient moisture and air flow through the pile. That said, walnut is pleasantly stable stuff, too. I have had zero issue with all the air dried walnut off my property that I've been using since about late 2001 for projects. I started using the 4/4 stuff at about a year and 12-14% MC.

Jim Becker
04-30-2008, 8:50 PM
I'm air drying some walnut right now. How is the color of air dried walnut different than kiln dried walnut?

Kiln dried walnut is also typically steamed to increase the yield. This makes the almost white sapwood darken to a brown color (where the increase in yield comes from), but also dulls the wonderful, rich colors to the same muddy brown. Air dried walnut typically has rich hues from purples through browns and even some touches of green. It also ages to a wonderful honey brown over time, especially with the right finish. (Walnut gets lighter over time)

Lawrence Smith
05-01-2008, 9:08 AM
Mark Schiller

Most of the walnut I have used comes from local cabinet shops that let me "dumpster dive" for their large cut off pieces. I've also purchased some nice blocks from local turners. Ebay is another source and the few times that I was a succesful bidder the product was good.

I will be in Maine this summer and I plan to look for a supplier while I'm up their. If I find one I will let you know by posting here on the Creek.

Larry