PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a compressor - for a few things

Matt Day
04-30-2008, 3:47 PM
I'm going to bite the bullet and get the V2 Plus veneer system at veneersupplies that requires 3.2 CFM (@90psi I think), while they're having their sale today.

I don't have a compressor at all, so I'll be getting one. I'd like it to be able to perform a number of tasks though.

I'd also like to use it to get into some air tools for general construction (nail guns mostly), but I'll also use it for bicycle/motorcycle tire inflation.

And lastly, I'd like to at some point use it for an entry level finish spray system. I don't need the super system, just one that I can get by with to do basic stuff.

What models would you suggest, and about what price range would I be looking at?

Thanks!

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-30-2008, 4:04 PM
I'd like to at some point use it for an entry level finish spray system. I don't need the super system, just one that I can get by with to do basic stuff.

What little I know about spraying HVLP suggests that you need an oil-less ultra clean system or just get a dedicated turbine.

Larry Fox
04-30-2008, 4:22 PM
Matt you should narrow down and at least have a few HVLP units in mind as these guys really consume a lot of air (volume) and will help make your compressor choice. I have the V2 system and love it - you will be happy with it. I wish I had known about the VS sale - I had placed an order yesterday morning. :( I got no timing.

Peter Quinn
04-30-2008, 9:07 PM
An asturo LVLP gun can run on as little as 5 CFM's at 40 PSI, heck, you can push that with a good portable. A few others make good LVLP conversion guns that don't take monster CFM's and give very good results reportedly.

http://www.targetcoatings.com/asturo.html

I'd pick your most air intensive tool and size your compressor to push that comfortably.

Jim Becker
05-01-2008, 6:01 PM
SCFM is the key. And the larger the tank, the less the machine will run to deliver that air. For spraying, I'd suggest no less than a 30 gallon system, despite the fact that I started with a 20 gallon unit. (I now have a 60 gallon IR unit)