PDA

View Full Version : Festool Mini Vs. CT-22?

Dave MacArthur
04-30-2008, 1:54 PM
Hi,
I plan on using for sanding etc. dust extraction. No festool tools yet, probably a 150/3 sander. Which one should I get? Does the mini do the job? Are there any space savings with the mini--I'm in a 1 car garage shop space, slowly spreading into other garage bays...
I have a 1.5 HP delta 50-760 dust collector also for other dust duties.

I'd like to buy the mini, but don't want to be disappointed that it was too small.
Thanks!

Jim Kirkpatrick
04-30-2008, 1:57 PM
Spring for the CT22 if you can afford it. It comes with HEPA filter where the mini does not.
Check out Festool Owners Group (http://festoolownersgroup.com/index.php) if you haven't already. Good source for Festool specific queries.

Larry Fox
04-30-2008, 1:57 PM
Dave, can't help you with the relative comparson between the two but I can vouche for the CT-22 if it will help push you over the cliff (what we are all ehre for afterall). I just recent acquired it and the sander that you mention and the combo is wonderful. I use the CT-22 for all sorts of cleanup tasks and find that it hooks to things like my PC plunge router fine. Absolutely 0 dust escapes from the thing.

Greg Cole
04-30-2008, 2:05 PM
I've recently slipped on the black n green slope..... thanks to SMC classifieds & a gentle push from a few Creekers as Larry said "that's what we're here for".
I've been eyeballing both the Mini & CT22 since slipping. Can't seem to justify the little one nor the big one, the CT22 seems to be "just right".
Now I just need it at a "just right price" ......:rolleyes:
I doubt you'd be disappointed with either, but the additional bad size might be the deciding factor (for me anyway).

Greg

William Nimmo
04-30-2008, 2:16 PM
I have both, and the mini is not smaller enough to make a difference. I would say go with the ct22.

jason lambert
04-30-2008, 4:55 PM
I also have both the CT22 rolls better, has a hepa filter and because of the design does bigger chips better if you use it with a plainer or something also you can fit a bigger hose on to it withthe mini you can't.

That being said I use my mini 70% of the time. It is quieter, ligher to carry around the house and just smaller which I like. Volunme doesn't matter so much these things pack the bags so tight with dirt they seem to last forever.

That being said I woudl say go for the ct22 just because it is more versitile.

Bruce Pennell
04-30-2008, 5:47 PM
Dave I have the CT22 love it! There is a mini for $245 on Craigs List (http://phoenix.craigslist.org/tls/662145970.html) in Phoenix, says it comes with extra bags. I would have to recommend the CT22 very nice vac. Welcome to the slope; you buy one tool than another, ect....Have Fun! Bruce:D

Jim Knishka
04-30-2008, 7:28 PM
It's obvious which way the slope is. I intended to buy the CT22 and the 150/3 sander the weekend before the price increases, and came home with the sander and the CT33.

The salesperson pointed out that since I was planning to use the vac almost exclusively in the shop portability didn't matter and the extra size would mean less bag changes (one of the key uses will be for the router table). I also bought the small cleaning kit and the wire hose hook to raise the hose to table level which I already love.

Jesse Cloud
04-30-2008, 8:37 PM
I have a CT22 and love it.

I suspect the mini would keep up with a 150/3 (another great tool) easily, but if a router is in your future, I would go with he 22 or 33.

Loren Blount
04-30-2008, 10:20 PM
Dave I have a mini and have been very impressed by it. I use it for my Domino, TS75, PC routers & PC ROS. It has done all I've asked it to without complaint. I'm really impressed by how long the bag in it lasts. The saw dust gets packed in it until its as hard as a brick. Being somewhat cheep I suck the dust out of the small bag with my dust collector, and I'm back in business without even taking the bag out of the mini.

Best of luck

Loren

Rick Christopherson
05-01-2008, 1:14 PM
Both sizes will work fine for you, but it really depends on what your specific needs are. I have several CT Mini's, a CT22, and a Fein T2. I use the CT22 for a primary extractor in the middle of the shop, and it has the boom arm attached. As set up, it is not very portable because my shop is always a mess. The Fein T2 is used as a general vac for cleaning the shop (i.e. large debris). One of the Mini's is used for general purpose around the house because it is so easy to carry. This is equipped with 20-ish foot hose and floor cleaning wand. The other Mini's are used for either dedicated stationary tools (Kapex) or when I need to work with something at the far end of the shop. They are also great for bringing out to a project site.

For a small 1-car sized shop, you are probably better off with the larger CT22, where you can leave it in one place and simply move the hose around to where you need to work.