PDA

View Full Version : New Planer (Ridgid 4330)

Tony Cox
04-30-2008, 1:05 PM
Yesterday (4/29) was our 13th wedding anniversary so I went and bought myself a planer. Consider it my way to stimulate the economy. :D

Well, it really wasn't for my anniversary, but because the Power Tool sale at Home Depot was over today and they had 2 of these in stock. So I thought it was a good time to get one. I have no experience with a planer, but I am eager to learn.:)

I was looking at the Dewalt, but really didn't want to come off $500 at this time. Getting this one for $309 seemed like a good alternative. Anyone who has the 4330 seems to really like it and I tend to trust word-of-mouth. It's done me pretty good so far.

I was going to buy an extra set of blades, but since they are reversible I didn't. The store had plenty of them and the blades for the 1300 in stock so I didn't feel a need to be concerned.

Here it is right out of the box.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=87449&stc=1&d=1209574923

Now I need to practice.

Bob Knodel
04-30-2008, 1:21 PM
Congratulations!!!!! I have been looking at that one for awhile. It's between the Rigid and the Dewalt. If I can get out of my shop today I think I will go down and pick one of them up.

Bob

Tony Cox
04-30-2008, 1:28 PM
Well, I can't testify to this one yet. I do have someone here at work that has the Dewalt and really likes it. The only thing I wish this one had is 2 speeds. That feature in the Dewalt did appeal to me, but I still decided on this one.

Greg Cole
04-30-2008, 1:47 PM
I've had the predecessor of that Rigid lunchbox for awhile now. It's been a work horse and I can't really complain about it other than it's under powered for wide hard stock, but for the price ya can't "get it all". I have lust for a bigger stationary one, but I'll keep the "lunchbox" regardless.
The 3 blade cutter head is a nice improvement.
FWIW, most of the 2 speed planers are generally used at the slower speed for the better finish (ie more cuts per inch). For skip planing rough cut material you can use the higher speed to hog through stacks of lumber for getting a look at what's hiding under the band mill "haze".
If you don't have a dust collector, a planer will point out the "convenience" or even "need" for one.
Lastly, your neighbors might not like you as much after hearing that thing scream (I work in an attached garage and my wife very much dislikes my planer & jointer... something about the loud repeptitive "BRRRRRRAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH" over and over?).

Congrats.
Greg

Shawn Honeychurch
04-30-2008, 3:10 PM
Congratulations!!!!! I have been looking at that one for awhile. It's between the Rigid and the Dewalt. If I can get out of my shop today I think I will go down and pick one of them up.

Bob

I'm in the same boat but leaning towards the Rigid for $420.00. :)

$500 for the Dewalt, plus $70 for the extensions, plus $70 for the chip collector. :eek:

I think the Rigid is going to be it.

Art Mann
04-30-2008, 6:36 PM
May I suggest you get a Wixey digital depth gauge for it. I bought one for my Ridgid TP1300LS and found it to be invaluable for planing thicknesses like 5/8" or 13/16" for which the planer does not include mechanical stops.

Robert Pasuth
04-30-2008, 7:54 PM
Hi Tony, Congrats on the new planer. I just purchased mine this weekend as well before the sale ended. I was up in the air between this and the 1300. I ended up with the newer thinking that the newer one should be an improvement and if I was not satisifed I would exchange it for the 1300. I did some light work on some Maple and some 3x3 Poplar and had no issues at all. I am amazed at how much quieter it seems than my fathers old Dewalt. Its a keeper for me. Enjoy!!

Cary Falk
05-01-2008, 6:08 AM
My Delta 22-580 has 2 blades and 2 speeds. I don't ever use the slow speed because the fast speed gives me glass smooth results every time.

Tony Cox
05-01-2008, 8:18 AM
I ran the planer last night. I cut down a piece to 1/2" from 3/4". That thing put an awsome finish on the board. I had some snipe, but I haven't done any adjusting on the tables yet. I am fairly sure once I do that everything will be great.

Tony Cox
05-01-2008, 8:21 AM
May I suggest you get a Wixey digital depth gauge for it.

A Wixey depth gauge is for sure on the list of things I would like to have for this thing. I will probably get that in 2 or 3 weeks. After I get some additional overtime to cover the purchase of the planer.:)