PDA

View Full Version : Need help with an object in corel x3 and Photo Paint

Lisa Walter
04-30-2008, 1:02 PM
:confused: My aunt asked me if I could do her a favor by cutting out a candelabra shape in wood for her (school project she is working on). She was using her scroll saw and was having a terrible time. She sent me a scan of the candelabra (it was a solid black candelabra). I opened it with Corel Photo Paint. I used the contour tool (it showed I could use edge detect, find edges or trace contour). I chose find edges (it gave an outline of the candelabra and removed most of the black inside of the object. Since I am not rastering I did not clean up the inside of the image). I saved it and then imported it into Corel Draw x3. In Corel, I selected the object and used the outline tool to make the edges a hairline since I want to cut this out. I kept it a small size to send to the laser on a scrap piece of 1/18 alder. It started cutting out just fine and then started going over the candelabra a second time. I checked to make sure I didn't have several images (one over the other) and I didn't. I am not sure why it wants to cut the image twice......this is the first time I have used the contour tool and wondered if it was some mistake I made. She wants to come up on Friday night (two hour drive) and I was hoping to figure out my mistake by then :) with help of course haha!

Thanks for any help. I will attach what I was working on......maybe someone can give some pointers. I will also attach the original so you can see what it looked like before I messed with it, but realize I made the file of the original smaller so I could upload it on here.

Lisa

Mike Mackenzie
04-30-2008, 1:10 PM
Lisa,

Your corel drawing is a bitmap just bring it into Corel and do a Trace. Thats all I did and the file came out nice.

Lisa Walter
04-30-2008, 1:15 PM
Thank you Mike I will try that!! I love this site :)

Lisa

James Stokes
04-30-2008, 2:03 PM
I think Corel has a glitch, every time you do a contour it automaticly duplicates the original object. You then have to delete the original.