PDA

View Full Version : Source for Alder wood frames

Carla Macioci
04-30-2008, 11:18 AM
Hi, My name is Carla and I have an Epilog Laser 45 watt. I need to know if any one has a source for wood frames with a two inch edge on them? They are 7x9 but hold a 4x6 picture and are alder wood. I get them from Laserbits but they are out of stock until Mid May. I have tried Colorado Heirloom, but they are only 1 1/4 edge, and so are Smith's Woods. Is there someone else who may carry these.
And...one other question...I know we can't cut vinyl in our machines, but I would love to be able to make window clings, and or stickers for schools. Can you give me any ideas on material for those two items?
Thanks and you guys are great! I read a lot of threads but have never posted because I don't want to seem like a "dumb blonde" even if it does come from a bottle!
You guys are sooo smart!
THanks so much.
Carla
Feel free to email me at:
windy317@yahoo.com

Pete Simmons
04-30-2008, 11:25 AM
Colorado Heirloom is not cheap, but I think they will make anything for you.

Their quality is very high.

Ask for Barry.

Barbara Buhse
04-30-2008, 12:08 PM
Try JDS Industries, they have the frames at a reasonable price.

Doug Bergstrom
04-30-2008, 1:29 PM
I have only been able to find those frames at Laserbit. You can cut vinyl on your laser but overall you would be better off to add a small desktop vinyl cutter. These machines will easily pay for themselves.

Joe Pelonio
04-30-2008, 1:30 PM
If you have an Ikea near you they have plain wood frames at very low prices.
More likely pine than alder but they engrave just fine.

Craig Hogarth
04-30-2008, 2:17 PM
I believe the Marcos Awards Group has the exact same frames used by laserbits.

http://www.discount-trophy.com/

download the master catalog and look at page 55. I have a price list somewhere, I just can't seem to locate it at the moment.

Mike Null
04-30-2008, 3:22 PM
The JDS frames 6x4 frames are 8.5 x 6.5.

Gary and Jessica Houghton
04-30-2008, 6:29 PM
lasergifts.com will sell alder frames. You have to call and talk to Lisa. They don't advertise them in the blank stock part of their website. I have talked to Lisa in the past and she said they would sell them blank. It's worth a try if you can't find them elsewhere.

Carla Macioci
04-30-2008, 7:32 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will call Marcos in the morning. Those are the ones I was looking for. I thought vinyl was bad for the engraver? Am I mistaken on that?
Thanks again, Carla

Joe Hayes
04-30-2008, 10:21 PM
Some people say it will not hurt them. I have seen photos of some lasers that were used to cut vinyl - not a pretty picture. I do know that cutting anything with PVC in it including vinyl will void your warranty with Epilog. The gas that it produces can be very dangerous to you. Personally it is not worth the risk to me. Vinyl cutters are inexpensive compared to your laser and much more effecient for what they are intended for. They also will not limit you on the length of cut you make. All of this is just MHO.

Bill Cunningham
05-01-2008, 9:17 PM
Michaels has frames if your prepared to do a little work on them.. Their only a few dollars each, and once you put a decent finish on them, and make a new back their not too bad

Tracey Bakewell
05-02-2008, 2:59 PM
I buy a ton of these frames... However, I did a comparison, recently I bought the same frames from Marcos, they look the same at first, but when you engrave, the result isn't as nice as the frames supplied by JDS... I'd buy the ones from JDS.

Larry Bratton
05-03-2008, 3:52 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will call Marcos in the morning. Those are the ones I was looking for. I thought vinyl was bad for the engraver? Am I mistaken on that?
Thanks again, Carla
Carla:
Try polyester. I buy a film product from Piedmont Plastics Corp. that they call Pflex. They have it in clear and white, it has an adhesive back. I understand it can be ordered in colors also. I have been cutting it and using with great success for paint mask. They sell me a sheet the size of my laser table..24x36 for about $2.50 a sheet.
It can also be printed on, although I haven't tried it yet, I intend to do so.
Also, if you have the need, reflective material made by Tape Technologies comes in several colors, is reflective, and is polyester. I cut it regularly in my laser. It's a little more expensive that regular vinyl, but it's safe in the machine and to you. I make reflective signage by putting it down on the piece and vector cutting (kiss cut) the lettering and then weed away the excess. Works great.